Supply-policy coordination in a monetary union
AbstractThis paper examines how the member countries of a large monetary union react to country-specific shocks, and to shocks from the rest of the world, using supply-side policies. We develop a three-country model in which two of the countries form a monetary union where an independent central bank to control monetary policy, and supply-side policies are determined by the authorities at the national level. In this framework, we analyse in strategic terms how the authorities can deal with monetary, real and supply shocks, and discuss the welfare aspects of the optimal solution and the extent to which a coordinated supply-side policy may be useful to deal with those shocks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos in its journal Estudios Económicos.
Volume (Year): 18 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173.
- Sibert, Anne & Sutherland, Alan, 1997.
"Monetary Regimes and Labour Market Reform,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1731, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tamim Bayoumi & Barry Eichengreen, 1992.
"Shocking Aspects of European Monetary Unification,"
NBER Working Papers
3949, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tamim Bayoumi and Barry Eichengreen., 1992. "Shocking Aspects of European Monetary Unification," Economics Working Papers 92-187, University of California at Berkeley.
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Eichengreen, Barry, 1992. "Shocking Aspects of European Monetary Unification," CEPR Discussion Papers 643, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Carmen Díaz-Roldán, 2000.
"Coordination Of Fiscal Policies In A Monetary Union,"
00-09, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- Carmen Díaz Roldán, 2000. "Coordination of fiscal policies in a monetary union," Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de EconomÃa - Universidad PÃºblica de Navarra 0003, Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra.
- Carmen Díaz-Roldán, . "Coordination of Fiscal Policies in a Monetary Union," Working Papers on International Economics and Finance 00-09, FEDEA.
- Carlos de Miguel Palacios & Simón Sosvilla-Rivero, 2001. "Efectos De Políticas Macroeconómicas En Una Unión Monetaria Con Distintos Grados De Rigidez Salarial," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 156(1), march.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rocío Contreras).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.