It's all in the data – consistent operational risk measurement and regulation
AbstractPurpose – Amid increased size and complexity of the banking industry, operational risk has a greater potential to occur in more harmful ways than many other sources of risk. This paper seeks to provide a succinct overview of the current regulatory framework of operational risk under the New Basel Accord with a view to inform a critical debate about the influence of data collection, loss reporting, and model specification on the consistency of risk-sensitive capital rules. Design/methodology/approach – The paper's approach is to investigate the regulatory implications of varying characteristics of operational risk and different methods to identify operational risk exposure. Findings – The findings reveal that effective operational risk measurement hinges on how the reporting of operational risk losses and the model sensitivity of quantitative methods affect the generation of consistent risk estimates. Originality/value – The presented findings offer tractable recommendations for a more coherent and consistent regulation of operational risk.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Emerald Group Publishing in its journal Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance.
Volume (Year): 15 (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com
Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carolyn Currie, 2005.
"A Test of the Strategic Effect of Basel II Operational Risk Requirements on Banks,"
Working Paper Series
143, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Carolyn Currie, 2006. "A Test Of The Strategic Effect Of Basel Ii Operational Risk Requirements On Banks," The IUP Journal of Monetary Economics, IUP Publications, vol. 0(4), pages 6-28, November.
- Carolyn Currie, 2005. "A Test of the Strategic Effect of Basel II Operational Risk Requirements on Banks," Working Paper Series 141, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Carolyn Currie, 2004. "Basel II and Operational Risk - Overview of Key Concerns," Working Paper Series 134, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Kabir K. Dutta & David F. Babbel, 2002. "On Measuring Skewness and Kurtosis in Short Rate Distributions: The Case of the US Dollar London Inter Bank Offer Rates," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 02-25, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Kabir K. Dutta & David F. Babbel, 2005.
"Extracting Probabilistic Information from the Prices of Interest Rate Options: Tests of Distributional Assumptions,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(3), pages 841-870, May.
- Kabir K. Dutta & David F. Babbel, 2002. "Extracting Probabilistic Information from the Prices of Interest Rate Options: Tests of Distributional Assumptions," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 02-26, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Andreas Jobst, 2007. "Operational Risk--The Sting is Still in the Tail but the Poison Depends on the Dose," IMF Working Papers 07/239, International Monetary Fund.
- Ioan Trenca & Iulia Neag, 2010. "Considerations Regarding Operational Risk Management in the Context of the Basel II Agreement," Romanian Economic Journal, Department of International Business and Economics from the Academy of Economic Studies Bucharest, vol. 13(36), pages 171-185, June.
- Attila Tamas Szora & Iulian Bogdan Dobra, 2009. "Considerations Regarding The Influence Of The Base Leading Rate Over Investment Projects Financed By Eu Funds," Annales Universitatis Apulensis Series Oeconomica, Faculty of Sciences, "1 Decembrie 1918" University, Alba Iulia, vol. 1(11), pages 44.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Lister).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.