Basel II: operation risk measurement in the Portuguese banking sector
AbstractThe present work focuses on one of the principal themes associated to the New Basel Accord – operational risk and its respective methodologies for calculating minimum capital requirements. The new capital accord encourages financial institutions to gradually evolve from basic to sophisticated methodologies. Institutions applying sophisticated methods will be rewarded with deductions on capital allocated when calculating the capital ratio. The methodologies related to operational risk will be applied to a group of national banking institutions. These methodologies are referred to in Pillar I of the new capital accord: (i) basic indicator approach, (ii) the standardized approach and (iii) the alternative standardized approach. The purpose of this practical application is to evaluate and quantify the impact on several national banks of the different approaches linked to operational risk, introduced by Basel II.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by ISEG, Technical University of Lisbon in its journal Portuguese Journal of Management Studies.
Volume (Year): XIV (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Basel II; Operational Risk; Regulatory Capital and Economic Capital;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paulo Lopes Henriques).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.