AbstractThis paper provides an economic and mathematical characterization of operational risk useful for clarifying the issues related to estimation and the determination of economic capital. The insights for this characterization originate in the corporate finance literature. Operational risk is subdivided into two types, either: (i) the risk of a loss due to the firm's operating technology, or (ii) the risk of a loss due to agency costs. These two types of operational risks generate loss processes with different economic characteristics. We argue that the current methodology for the determination of economic capital for operational risk is overstated. It is biased high because the computation omits the bank's net present value (NPV) generating process. We also show that although it is conceptually possible to estimate the operational risk processes' parameters using only market prices, the non-observability of the firm's value makes this an unlikely possibility, except in rare cases. Instead, we argue that data internal to the firm, in conjunction with standard hazard rate estimation procedures, provides a more fruitful alternative.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Banking & Finance.
Volume (Year): 32 (2008)
Issue (Month): 5 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antje Berndt & Rohan Douglas & Darrell Duffie & Mark Ferguson, .
"Measuring Default Risk Premia from Default Swap Rates and EDFs,"
GSIA Working Papers
2006-E31, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Antje Berndt & Rohan Douglas & Darrell Duffie & Mark Ferguson & David Schranz, 2005. "Measuring default risk premia from default swap rates and EDFs," BIS Working Papers 173, Bank for International Settlements.
- Marco Moscadelli, 2004. "The modelling of operational risk: experience with the analysis of the data collected by the Basel Committee," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 517, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- R. Jarrow & A. Purnanandam, 2007. "The valuation of a firm’s investment opportunities: a reduced form credit risk perspective," Review of Derivatives Research, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 39-58, January.
- Kabir Dutta & Jason Perry, 2006. "A tale of tails: an empirical analysis of loss distribution models for estimating operational risk capital," Working Papers 06-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Joost Driessen, 2005. "Is Default Event Risk Priced in Corporate Bonds?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 18(1), pages 165-195.
- Chavez-Demoulin, V. & Embrechts, P. & Neslehova, J., 2006. "Quantitative models for operational risk: Extremes, dependence and aggregation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(10), pages 2635-2658, October.
- Hela Dahen & Georges Dionne, 2007.
"Scaling Models for the Severity and Frequency of External Operational Loss Data,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Dahen, Hela & Dionne, Georges, 2010. "Scaling models for the severity and frequency of external operational loss data," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1484-1496, July.
- Peter N Smith & Michael R Wickens, .
"Asset Pricing with Observable Stochastic Discount Factors,"
02/03, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Smith, Peter & Wickens, Michael, 2002. " Asset Pricing with Observable Stochastic Discount Factors," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(3), pages 397-446, July.
- P N Smith & S Sorensen & M R Wickens, .
"Macroeconomic Sources of Equity Risk,"
03/13, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Wang, Zongrun & Wang, Wuchao & Chen, Xiaohong & Jin, Yanbo & Zhou, Yanju, 2012. "Using BS-PSD-LDA approach to measure operational risk of Chinese commercial banks," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 2095-2103.
- Viviana Fanelli & Silvana Musti, 2007. "Modelling Credit Spreads evolution using the Cox Process within the HJM framework," Quaderni DSEMS 27-2007, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche, Matematiche e Statistiche, Universita' di Foggia.
- Robert Jarrow & Jeff Oxman & Yildiray Yildirim, 2010. "The cost of operational risk loss insurance," Review of Derivatives Research, Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 273-295, October.
- Carl Chiarella & Viviana Fanelli & Silvana Musti, 2008.
"Modelling the Evolution of Credit Spreads using the Cox Process within the HUM Framework: A CDS Option Pricing Model,"
Research Paper Series
232, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Chiarella, Carl & Fanelli, Viviana & Musti, Silvana, 2011. "Modelling the evolution of credit spreads using the Cox process within the HJM framework: A CDS option pricing model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 208(2), pages 95-108, January.
- Carl Chiarella & Viviana Fanelli & Silvana Musti, 2009. "Modelling the Evolution of Credit Spreads Using the Cox Process Within the HJM Framework A CDS Option Pricing Model," Research Paper Series 255, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Eirik Gaard Kristiansen, 2005. "Strategic bank monitoring and firms’ debt structure," Working Paper 2005/10, Norges Bank.
- Robert Jarrow, 2007. "A Critique of Revised Basel II," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 1-16, October.
- Silvana Musti & Viviana Fanelli, 2008. "Modelling electricity forward curve dynamics in the Italian market," Quaderni DSEMS 20-2008, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche, Matematiche e Statistiche, Universita' di Foggia.
- Chernobai, Anna & Yildirim, Yildiray, 2008. "The dynamics of operational loss clustering," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 2655-2666, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.