Centralized clearing for over-the-counter derivatives
Abstracturpose – Systemic risk propagated through over-the-counter (OTC) derivatives can best be managed by a public-private central counterparty clearing house. The purpose of this paper is to outline the market microstructure necessary for such a clearing house. Design/methodology/approach – The paper proposes using an request for quote platform with an active permissioning system that uses analytic approximations based on Monte Carlo simulation to estimate default risk and a two-part pricing scheme to efficiently price that risk. Findings – It is found that comprehensive clearing for complex and standardized derivatives is feasible using the clearing framework. Research limitations/implications – This research is limited by the authors' ability to give empirical examples. The paper gives a short example with data, but given the constraints on length, cannot go into more detail. Practical implications – This comprehensive clearing structure, in contrast to current proposed government regulations, will not drive out the “good” with the “bad” OTC derivative instruments. Originality/value – This is the only paper the authors are aware of that outlines a detailed framework for clearing all OTC derivatives.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Emerald Group Publishing in its journal Journal of Financial Economic Policy.
Volume (Year): 2 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com
Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK
Other versions of this item:
- Rausser, Gordon C. & Balson, William & Stevens, Reid, 2009. "Centralized clearing for over-the-counter derivatives," CUDARE Working Paper Series 1091, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Rausser, Gordon C. & Balson, William & Stevens, Reid, 2009. "Centralized Clearing for Over-the-Counter Derivatives," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt494976mk, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hardman Moore, John & Hart, Oliver, 1985.
"Incomplete Contracts and Renegotiation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
60, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Grossman, Sanford J. & Hart, Oliver D., 1986.
"The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration,"
3450060, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Hart, Oliver D, 1986. "The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 691-719, August.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Hart, Oliver, 1985. "The Cost and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 70, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Oliver Hart & Sanford Grossman, 1985. "The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," Working papers 372, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Mario J. Miranda & Paul L. Fackler, 2004. "Applied Computational Economics and Finance," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262633094, January.
- Francesconi, Marco & Muthoo, Abhinay, 2006.
"Control Rights in Public-Private Partnerships,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5733, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marco Francesconi & Abhinay Muthoo, 2006. "Control Rights in Public-Private Partnership," Economics Discussion Papers 612, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Francesconi, Marco & Muthoo, Abhinay, 2006. "Control Rights in Public-Private Partnerships," IZA Discussion Papers 2143, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Oliver Hart & John Moore, 1998.
"Foundations of Incomplete Contracts,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1846, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Williams, Jeffrey C., 2001. "Commodity futures and options," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 13, pages 745-816 Elsevier.
- Timothy Besley & Maitreesh Ghatak, 2001.
"Government Versus Private Ownership Of Public Goods,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 116(4), pages 1343-1372, November.
- Besley, Timothy J. & Ghatak, Maitreesh, 2001. "Government versus Private Ownership of Public Goods," CEPR Discussion Papers 2725, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gregory, Allan W. & Reeves, Jonathan J., 2008. "Interpreting Value at Risk (VaR) forecasts," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 167-176, June.
- Arnold M. Faden & Gordon C. Rausser, 1976. "Econometric Policy Model Construction: The Post-Bayesian Approach," NBER Chapters, in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 5, number 3, pages 349-363 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pratt, John W & Zeckhauser, Richard J, 1989. " The Impact of Risk Sharing on Efficient Decision," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 219-34, September.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1976. "Expectations and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(6), pages 1161-76, December.
- Karel Janda & Gordon Rausser, 2011. "Comparing American and European Regulation of Over-the- Counter Derivative Securities," European Financial and Accounting Journal, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2011(4), pages 7-19.
- Jean-Sébastien Fontaine & Héctor Pérez Saiz & Joshua Slive, 2012. "When Lower Risk Increases Profit: Competition and Control of a Central Counterparty," Working Papers 12-35, Bank of Canada.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jade Turvey).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.