Commodity futures and options
In: Handbook of Agricultural Economics
AbstractOrganized exchanges have evolved methods for enforcing contracts, which allow the contracts themselves to be traded at low cost. Theorists have modeled futures contracts as tools for risk management, despite an extensive empirical literature that does not support predictions about bias in prices or speculators' behavior. Another perspective models commercial firms as using futures contracts to arbitrage, to minimize transaction costs, to substitute temporarily for merchandising contracts. Because commercial firms tie their processing and storage decisions to the constellation of futures prices, futures prices have major allocative effects, even if their forecasting power is inevitably poor.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
This chapter was published in:
This item is provided by Elsevier in its series Handbook of Agricultural Economics with number 2-13.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/bookseriesdescription.cws_home/BS_HE/description
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q00 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - General - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Modjtahedi, Bagher & Movassagh, Nahid, 2005. "Natural-gas futures: Bias, predictive performance, and the theory of storage," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 617-637, July.
- Franken, Jason R.V. & Garcia, Philip & Irwin, Scott H., 2009. "Is Storage at a Loss Merely an Illusion of Spatial Aggregation?," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 27.
- Rausser, Gordon C. & Balson, William & Stevens, Reid, 2009.
"Centralized clearing for over-the-counter derivatives,"
CUDARE Working Paper Series
1091, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Gordon Rausser & William Balson & Reid Stevens, 2010. "Centralized clearing for over-the-counter derivatives," Journal of Financial Economic Policy, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 2(4), pages 346-359, December.
- Rausser, Gordon C. & Balson, William & Stevens, Reid, 2009. "Centralized Clearing for Over-the-Counter Derivatives," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt494976mk, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Bharat Ramaswami & Jatinder Bir Singh, 2006.
"Underdeveloped spot markets and futures trading: The Soya Oil exchange in India,"
Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers
06-03, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Ramaswami, Bharat & Singh, Jatinder, 2007. "Underdeveloped Spot Markets and Futures Trading: The Soya Oil Exchange in India," 106th Seminar, October 25-27, 2007, Montpellier, France 7919, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Hobæk Haff, Ingrid & Lindqvist, Ola & Løland, Anders, 2008. "Risk premium in the UK natural gas forward market," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 2420-2440, September.
- Morales, C. & Garrido, Alberto & Palinkas, Peter & Szekely, Csaba, 2008. "Risks Perceptions and Risk Management Instruments in the European Union: do farmers have a clear idea of what they need?," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 43956, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Lence, Sergio H., 2008.
"Do Futures Benefit Farmers?,"
Staff General Research Papers
12919, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Isengildina-Massa, Olga & Irwin, Scott H. & Good, Darrel L. & Gomez, Jennifer K., 2008. "The Impact of Situation and Outlook Information in Corn and Soybean Futures Markets: Evidence from WASDE Reports," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 40(01), April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.