Strategic leadership across cultures: Current findings and future research directions
AbstractResearch on strategic leadership has proliferated for a long time. However, very little work has been conducted to investigate this issue from a cross-cultural perspective. To fill this gap, we first review recent findings on strategic leadership in different cultural backgrounds. Then, based on the upper echelons theory, we summarize what researchers have found regarding the effects of personal characteristics of strategic leaders on firm performance in terms of observed personal experience, personality, values, cognitive style, and leadership behaviors. Furthermore, we generate some future research directions focusing on concepts, theories, and also methodological issues of strategic leadership across cultures. We consider how research across different cultures will enrich our understanding of strategic leadership and unfold the “black box” of why and how strategic leaders have positive effects on firm level performance. Finally, practical implications for managers are considered.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of World Business.
Volume (Year): 47 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Musteen, Martina & Barker III, Vincent L. & Baeten, Virginia L., 2006. "CEO attributes associated with attitude toward change: The direct and moderating effects of CEO tenure," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(5), pages 604-612, May.
- MOR editorial team, 2006. "Contextualization in Chinese Management Research," Management and Organization Review, International Association of Chinese Management Research, vol. 2(1), pages 1-13, March.
- Danny Miller & Jean-Marie Toulouse, 1986. "Chief Executive Personality and Corporate Strategy and Structure in Small Firms," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(11), pages 1389-1409, November.
- David A Waldman & Mary Sully de Luque & Nathan Washburn & Robert J House & Bolanle Adetoun & Angel Barrasa & Mariya Bobina & Muzaffer Bodur & Yi-Jung Chen & Sukhendu Debbarma & Peter Dorfman & Rosemar, 2006. "Cultural and leadership predictors of corporate social responsibility values of top management: a GLOBE study of 15 countries," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(6), pages 823-837, November.
- House, Robert & Javidan, Mansour & Hanges, Paul & Dorfman, Peter, 2002. "Understanding cultures and implicit leadership theories across the globe: an introduction to project GLOBE," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 3-10, April.
- Malmendier, Ulrike & Tate, Geoffrey, 2008.
"Who makes acquisitions? CEO overconfidence and the market's reaction,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 20-43, July.
- Malmendier, Ulrike M. & Tate, Geoffrey, 2003. "Who Makes Acquisitions? CEO Overconfidence and the Market's Reaction," Research Papers 1798, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Ulrike Malmendier & Geoffrey Tate, 2004. "Who Makes Acquisitions? CEO Overconfidence and the Market's Reaction," NBER Working Papers 10813, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Menon, Tanya & Sim, Jessica & Fu, Jeanne Ho-Ying & Chiu, Chi-yue & Hong, Ying-yi, 2010. "Blazing the trail versus trailing the group: Culture and perceptions of the leader's position," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 51-61, September.
- David A. Waldman & Donald S. Siegel & Mansour Javidan, 2006. "Components of CEO Transformational Leadership and Corporate Social Responsibility," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(8), pages 1703-1725, December.
- Shao, Lian & Webber, Sheila, 2006. "A cross-cultural test of the `five-factor model of personality and transformational leadership'," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(8), pages 936-944, August.
- John Child, 1974. "Managerial And Organizational Factors Associated With Company Performance Part I," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 175-189, October.
- Thomas M Begley & Wee-Liang Tan, 2001. "The Socio-Cultural Environment for Entrepreneurship: A Comparison Between East Asian and Anglo-Saxon Countries," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(3), pages 537-553, September.
- Caligiuri, Paula & Tarique, Ibraiz, 2009. "Predicting effectiveness in global leadership activities," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 336-346, July.
- Ibrahim Sani Mert & Hakan Bayramlik & Hakan Turgut, 2014. "A Qualitative Research to Define the Successful Decision Making Competencies in Public Sector: Evidence from Turkey," International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, Human Resource Management Academic Research Society, International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, vol. 4(5), pages 395-409, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.