Components of CEO Transformational Leadership and Corporate Social Responsibility
AbstractWe use transformational leadership theory to explore the role of CEOs in determining the extent to which their firms engage in corporate social responsibility (CSR). We test this theory using data from 56 US and Canadian firms. CEO intellectual stimulation (but not CEO charismatic leadership) is found to be significantly associated with the propensity of the firm to engage in 'strategic' CSR, or those CSR activities that are most likely to be related to the firm's corporate and business-level strategies. Thus, studies that ignore the role of leadership in CSR may yield imprecise conclusions regarding the antecedents and consequences of these activities. We also critique transformational leadership theory, in terms of its overemphasis on charismatic forms of leadership. This leads to a reconceptualization of transformational leadership, which emphasizes the intellectual stimulation component in the context of CSR. Copyright Blackwell Publishing Ltd 2006.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Management Studies.
Volume (Year): 43 (2006)
Issue (Month): 8 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2380
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wagner, Marcus, 2010. "The role of corporate sustainability performance for economic performance: A firm-level analysis of moderation effects," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(7), pages 1553-1560, May.
- Daniel Slater & Heather Dixon-Fowler, 2009. "CEO International Assignment Experience and Corporate Social Performance," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, Springer, vol. 89(3), pages 473-489, October.
- Kurt A. Desender & Mircea Epure, 2013.
"Corporate governance and corporate social performance,"
Economics Working Papers
1398, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jul 2014.
- Kurt A. Desender & Mircea Epure, 2014. "Corporate Governance and Corporate Social Performance," Working Papers 730, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Kumar, Bipul & Sinha, Piyush Kumar & Shukla, P. R. & Abhishek, . "Broadening the Concept of Sustainability and Measuring its Impact on Firm’s Performance," IIMA Working Papers WP2013-08-01, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Research and Publication Department.
- Suzanne Benn & Lindi Todd & Jannet Pendleton, 2010. "Public Relations Leadership in Corporate Social Responsibility," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, Springer, vol. 96(3), pages 403-423, October.
- Belen Blanco & Encarna GuillamÃ³n-SaorÃn & AndrÃ©s Guiral, 2013. "Do Non-socially Responsible Companies Achieve Legitimacy Through Socially Responsible Actions? The Mediating Effect of Innovation," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, Springer, vol. 117(1), pages 67-83, September.
- Yuval Deutsch & Mike Valente, 2013. "Compensating Outside Directors with Stock: The Impact on Non-Primary Stakeholders," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, Springer, vol. 116(1), pages 67-85, August.
- Rasi Kunapatarawong & Ester MartÃnez-Ros, 2013. "Influences of institutional pressures on corporate social responsibility attitude and corporate social responsibility outcomes," Business Economics Working Papers, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de EconomÃa de la Empresa wb130301, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de EconomÃa de la Empresa.
- David Waldman, 2011. "Moving Forward with the Concept of Responsible Leadership: Three Caveats to Guide Theory and Research," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, Springer, vol. 98(1), pages 75-83, January.
- Donald Siegel, 2009. "Green Management Matters Only If It Yields More Green: An Economic/Strategic Perspective," Working Papers, Jerusalem Institute for Market Studies (JIMS) 8, Jerusalem Institute for Market Studies (JIMS).
- Kevin Groves & Michael LaRocca, 2011. "Responsible Leadership Outcomes Via Stakeholder CSR Values: Testing a Values-Centered Model of Transformational Leadership," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, Springer, vol. 98(1), pages 37-55, January.
- Lora Reed & Deborah Vidaver-Cohen & Scott Colwell, 2011. "A New Scale to Measure Executive Servant Leadership: Development, Analysis, and Implications for Research," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, Springer, vol. 101(3), pages 415-434, July.
- Wang, Hui & Waldman, David A. & Zhang, Hongyu, 2012. "Strategic leadership across cultures: Current findings and future research directions," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 47(4), pages 571-580.
- Tamsin Angus-Leppan & Louise Metcalf & Sue Benn, 2010. "Leadership Styles and CSR Practice: An Examination of Sensemaking, Institutional Drivers and CSR Leadership," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, Springer, vol. 93(2), pages 189-213, May.
- Christian Voegtlin & Moritz Patzer & Andreas Scherer, 2012. "Responsible Leadership in Global Business: A New Approach to Leadership and Its Multi-Level Outcomes," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, Springer, vol. 105(1), pages 1-16, January.
- Shiang-Min Meng, 2013. "Application of Laoziâ€™s Daodejing to Current Corporate Governance," International Journal of Asian Social Science, Asian Economic and Social Society, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 3(10), pages 2114-2133, October.
- Shuili Du & ValÃ©rie Swaen & Adam Lindgreen & Sankar Sen, 2013. "The Roles of Leadership Styles in Corporate Social Responsibility," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, Springer, vol. 114(1), pages 155-169, April.
- Louise Metcalf & Sue Benn, 2013. "Leadership for Sustainability: An Evolution of Leadership Ability," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, Springer, vol. 112(3), pages 369-384, February.
- Pavlos Vlachos & Nikolaos Panagopoulos & Adam Rapp, 2013. "Feeling Good by Doing Good: Employee CSR-Induced Attributions, Job Satisfaction, and the Role of Charismatic Leadership," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, Springer, vol. 118(3), pages 577-588, December.
- Isabel-MarÃa GarcÃa-SÃ¡nchez & Luis RodrÃguez-DomÃnguez & Isabel Gallego-Ãlvarez, 2013. "CEO qualities and codes of ethics," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 295-312, April.
- Christian Voegtlin, 2011. "Development of a Scale Measuring Discursive Responsible Leadership," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, Springer, vol. 98(1), pages 57-73, January.
- Schippers, M.C. & den Hartog, D.N. & Koopman, P.L. & van Knippenberg, D.L., 2007. "The Role of Transformational Leadership in Enhancing Team Reflexivity," ERIM Report Series Research in Management, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasm ERS-2007-080-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Ans Kolk & Willemijn Dolen & Marlene Vock, 2010. "Trickle Effects of Cross-Sector Social Partnerships," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, Springer, vol. 94(1), pages 123-137, July.
- Mikko Manner, 2010. "The Impact of CEO Characteristics on Corporate Social Performance," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, Springer, vol. 93(1), pages 53-72, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.