Chief Executive Personality and Corporate Strategy and Structure in Small Firms
AbstractAn empirical investigation of 97 firms was conducted to determine the relationships that three aspects of the chief executive's (CEO's) personality have with the strategies, structures, decision making methods and performance of their firms. CEO flexibility was associated with niche strategies, simple, informal structures, and intuitive, risk-embracing decision making. CEO need for achievement was related to broadly focussed, marketing-oriented strategies, formal and sophisticated structures, and proactive, analytical decision making. Executives with an internal locus of control pursued more product innovation, were more future oriented, and tailored their approaches to the circumstances facing their firms. The relationships between personality and organizational characteristics were found to be by far the strongest in small firms and also somewhat more significant in dynamic environments. Flexibility and locus of control related to corporate performance under certain conditions; need for achievement did not.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 32 (1986)
Issue (Month): 11 (November)
executive personality; corporate strategy; innovation;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Younes Ben Zaied & Siagh Ahmed Ramzi, 2012. "Les déterminants du succès entrepreneurial ; Une étude empirique de la région de Sfax en Tunisie," Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen) 201235, Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS.
- André van Stel & Lorraine Uhlaner & Haibo Zhou & Valerie Duplat, 2012. "Disentangling the effects of organizational capabilities, innovation and firm size on SME sales growth," Scales Research Reports H201211, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Bergeron, François & Raymond, Louis & Rivard, Suzanne, 2001. "Fit in strategic information technology management research: an empirical comparison of perspectives," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 125-142, April.
- Lefebvre, Louis A. & Lefebvre, Élisabeth, 1992. "Efforts innovateurs et positionnement concurrentiel des PME manufacturières," L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 68(3), pages 453-476, septembre.
- Boone, Christophe & van Olffen, Woody & van Witteloostuijn, Arjen, 1998. "Psychological team make-up as a determinant of economic firm performance: An experimental study," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 43-73, February.
- Iulian Mitut, 2011. "Coping strategies - modern solutions for increasing the efficiency of highly professionalized human resources," THE YEARBOOK OF THE “GH. ZANE” INSTITUTE OF ECONOMIC RESEARCHES, Gheorghe Zane Institute for Economic and Social Research ( from THE ROMANIAN ACADEMY, JASSY BRANCH), vol. 20(1), pages 37-48.
- Siu, Wai-sum, 2008. "Yuan and marketing: The perception of Chinese owner-managers," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 43(4), pages 449-462, October.
- Boone, C.A.J.J. & Brabander, B. de & Witteloostuijn, A. van, 1996. "CEO locus of control and small firm performance: an integrative framework and empirical test," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-5373484, Tilburg University.
- Andy Cosh & Xiaolan Fu & Alan Hughes, 2005. "Management characteristics, collaboration and innovative efficiency: evidence from UK survey data," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp311, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Wijbenga, Frits H. & van Witteloostuijn, Arjen, 2007. "Entrepreneurial locus of control and competitive strategies - The moderating effect of environmental dynamism," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 566-589, October.
- Wiklund, Johan & Shepherd, Dean, 2005. "Entrepreneurial orientation and small business performance: a configurational approach," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 71-91, January.
- Andries, Petra & Czarnitzki, Dirk, 2012. "Small firm innovation performance and employee involvement," ZEW Discussion Papers 12-013, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Thong, J. Y. L. & Yap, C. S., 1995. "CEO characteristics, organizational characteristics and information technology adoption in small businesses," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 429-442, August.
- Li, Yan & Tan, Chuan-Hoo, 2013. "Matching business strategy and CIO characteristics: The impact on organizational performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 248-259.
- Fu, Xiaolan, 2012. "How does openness affect the importance of incentives for innovation?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 512-523.
- Boone,Christophe & Olffen, van,Woody, 2002. "Psychological team diversity and strategy implementation," Research Memorandum 004, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Musso, Fabio & Francioni, Barbara, 2012. "The Influence Of Decision-Maker Characteristics On The International Strategic Decision-Making Process: An SME Perspective," MPRA Paper 50063, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reeves, Terrie C. & Duncan, W. Jack & Ginter, Peter M., 2003. "Strategic configurations in health services organizations," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 31-43, January.
- Roberto Medeiros Jr. & Fernando A. Ribeiro Serra & Manuel Portugal Ferreira, 2009. "Alta AdministraÃ§Ã£o como Recurso EstratÃ©gico: Agenda de pesquisa brasileira a partir de estudo bibliogrÃ¡fico dos trabalhos de Hambrick," Working Papers 39, globADVANTAGE, Polytechnic Institute of Leiria.
- Weerawardena, Jay & Mort, Gillian Sullivan, 2006. "Investigating social entrepreneurship: A multidimensional model," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 21-35, February.
- Wang, Hui & Waldman, David A. & Zhang, Hongyu, 2012. "Strategic leadership across cultures: Current findings and future research directions," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 47(4), pages 571-580.
- Nur Hazelen Mat Rusok Author_Email: email@example.com & Mohamed Husny Basir & PM Dr. Zainudin Awang & Farahiyah Akmal Mat Nawi, 2011. "The Influence Of Constructive Thought Pattern Strategies On Entrepreneur Innovative Behavior," Annual Summit on Business and Entrepreneurial Studies (ASBES 2011) Proceeding 2011-034-087, Conference Master Resources.
- Gilley, K. Matthew & Greer, Charles R. & Rasheed, Abdul A., 2004. "Human resource outsourcing and organizational performance in manufacturing firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 232-240, March.
- Boone,Christophe & Olffen,Woody,van & Witteloostuijn,Arjan,van, 2003. "TEAM COMPOSITION, LEADERSHIP AND INFORMATION-PROCESSING BEHAVIOR A simulation game study of the locus-of-control personality trait," Research Memorandum 035, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Huang, Kuo-Feng, 2011. "Technology competencies in competitive environment," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 172-179, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.