Do family ties shape the performance consequences of diversification? Evidence from the European Union
AbstractThis paper examines the moderating effect of family involvement in ownership and control on the relationship between diversification strategies – both product and international diversification – and corporate performance. We argue that this moderating effect is related to the distinctive characteristics of family firms compared to non-family firms. The empirical evidence is provided by a sample of firms from the European Union during the 2005–2009 time period. Our results found that family firms are more profitable than non-family firms when they engage in joint product and international diversification.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of World Business.
Volume (Year): 47 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sumon Kumar Bhaumik & Andros Gregoriou, 2010.
"'Family' Ownership, Tunnelling And Earnings Management: A Review Of The Literature,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(4), pages 705-730, 09.
- Sumon Bhaumik & Andros Gregoriou, 2009. "“Family” ownership, tunneling and earnings management: A review of the literature," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp954, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Danny Miller & Jangwoo Lee & Sooduck Chang & Isabelle Le Breton-Miller, 2009. "Filling the institutional void: The social behavior and performance of family vs non-family technology firms in emerging markets," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(5), pages 802-817, June.
- Zahra, Shaker A. & Neubaum, Donald O. & Larraneta, Barbara, 2007. "Knowledge sharing and technological capabilities: The moderating role of family involvement," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(10), pages 1070-1079, October.
- Miller, Danny & Le Breton-Miller, Isabelle & Lester, Richard H. & Cannella Jr., Albert A., 2007. "Are family firms really superior performers?," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 829-858, December.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 1998.
"Corporate Ownership Around the World,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1840, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Faccio, Mara & Lang, Larry H. P., 2002. "The ultimate ownership of Western European corporations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 365-395, September.
- Delios, Andrew & Zhou, Nan & Xu, Wei Wei, 2008. "Ownership structure and the diversification and performance of publicly-listed companies in China," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 51(6), pages 473-483.
- Chao, Mike Chen-Ho & Kumar, Vikas, 2010. "The impact of institutional distance on the international diversity-performance relationship," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 93-103, January.
- Qian, Gongming, 2002. "Multinationality, product diversification, and profitability of emerging US small- and medium-sized enterprises," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 611-633, October.
- Zulima Fern�ndez & Mar�a Jes�s Nieto, 2006. "Impact of ownership on the international involvement of SMEs," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(3), pages 340-351, May.
- Villalonga, Belen & Amit, Raphael, 2006. "How do family ownership, control and management affect firm value?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 385-417, May.
- Maury, Benjamin, 2006. "Family ownership and firm performance: Empirical evidence from Western European corporations," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 321-341, January.
- Peter Klein & Daniel Shapiro & Jeffrey Young, 2005. "Corporate Governance, Family Ownership and Firm Value: the Canadian evidence," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(6), pages 769-784, November.
- Chang, Shao-Chi & Wang, Chi-Feng, 2007. "The effect of product diversification strategies on the relationship between international diversification and firm performance," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 61-79, March.
- Narjess Boubakri & Omrane Guedhami & Dev Mishra, 2010. "Family control and the implied cost of equity: Evidence before and after the Asian financial crisis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 41(3), pages 451-474, April.
- Anderson, Ronald C & Reeb, David M, 2003. "Founding-Family Ownership, Corporate Diversification, and Firm Leverage," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 46(2), pages 653-84, October.
- William S. Schulze & Michael H. Lubatkin & Richard N. Dino, 2002. "Altruism, agency, and the competitiveness of family firms," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(4-5), pages 247-259.
- John A Doukas & L H P Lang, 2003. "Foreign direct investment, diversification and firm performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(2), pages 153-172, March.
- Sumon Kumar Bhaumik & Nigel Driffield & Sarmistha Pal, 2010. "Does ownership structure of emerging-market firms affect their outward FDI? The case of the Indian automotive and pharmaceutical sectors," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 41(3), pages 437-450, April.
- Zahra, Shaker A., 2003. "International expansion of U.S. manufacturing family businesses: the effect of ownership and involvement," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 495-512, July.
- Luis R. Gomez-Mejia & Marianna Makri & Martin Larraza Kintana, 2010. "Diversification Decisions in Family-Controlled Firms," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(2), pages 223-252, 03.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.