Impact of ownership on the international involvement of SMEs
AbstractThis paper analyses the relationship between the internationalisation strategies of SMEs and types of ownership. Different types of ownership affect firms, and this in turn will influence the internationalisation strategy adopted. Using a sample of Spanish SMEs, our results show that internationalisation is negatively related to family ownership and positively related to corporate ownership. We have also observed that the presence of a corporate blockholder in family firms encourages internationalisation. These results support the idea that ownership type influences the decision to internationalise. Journal of International Business Studies (2006) 37, 340–351. doi:10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8400196
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 37 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Andrea Calabrò & Emiliano Di Carlo, 2009. "The Role of IPO in Internationalization Process of Family Business. The Italian Case of the Burani Family. Is it a Black Swan?," DSI Essays Series, DSI - Dipartimento di Studi sull'Impresa, DSI - Dipartimento di Studi sull'Impresa, vol. 9.
- Oesterle, Michael-Jörg & Richta, Hannah Noriko & Fisch, Jan Hendrik, 2013. "The influence of ownership structure on internationalization," International Business Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 187-201.
- Chizema, Amon, 2010. "Early and late adoption of American-style executive pay in Germany: Governance and institutions," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 9-18, January.
- Ali-Yrkkö, Jyrki & Pajarinen, Mika & Rouvinen, Petri & Ylä-Anttila, Pekka, 2007. "Family Businesses and Globalization in Finland," Discussion Papers, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy 1080, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Eberhard, Manuel & Craig, Justin, 2013. "The evolving role of organisational and personal networks in international market venturing," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 385-397.
- Casillas, José C. & Moreno, Ana M. & Acedo, Francisco J., 2012. "Path dependence view of export behaviour: A relationship between static patterns and dynamic configurations," International Business Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 465-479.
- Jiménez, Alfredo, 2010. "Does political risk affect the scope of the expansion abroad? Evidence from Spanish MNEs," International Business Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 619-633, December.
- Astrachan, Joseph H., 2010. "Strategy in family business: Toward a multidimensional research agenda," Journal of Family Business Strategy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 6-14, March.
- Calabrò, Andrea & Torchia, Mariateresa & Pukall, Thilo & Mussolino, Donata, 2013. "The influence of ownership structure and board strategic involvement on international sales: The moderating effect of family involvement," International Business Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 509-523.
- Segaro, Ethiopia L. & Larimo, Jorma & Jones, Marian V., 2014. "Internationalisation of family small and medium sized enterprises: The role of stewardship orientation, family commitment culture and top management team," International Business Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 381-395.
- Kontinen, Tanja & Ojala, Arto, 2010. "The internationalization of family businesses: A review of extant research," Journal of Family Business Strategy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 97-107, June.
- Bersant Hobdari & Aleksandra Gregoric & Evis Sinani, 2011. "The role of firm ownership on internationalization: evidence from two transition economies," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 393-413, August.
- Muñoz-Bullón, Fernando & Sánchez-Bueno, Maria J., 2012. "Do family ties shape the performance consequences of diversification? Evidence from the European Union," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 469-477.
- Boehe, Dirk Michael, 2011. "Collaborate at home to win abroad: How does access to local network resources influence export behavior?," Insper Working Papers, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa wpe_248, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Lu, Jiangyong & Xu, Bin & Liu, Xiaohui, 2007. "The Effects of Corporate Governance and Institutional Environments on Export Behaviour: Evidence from Chinese Listed Firms," MPRA Paper 6600, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Seyed Komail Tayebi & Seyed Abouzar Razavi & Ahmad Googerdchian, 2013. "Effect of SMEs Expansion on Handmade Carpet Comparative Advantage. The Case of Isfahan City," International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, Human Resource Management Academic Research Society, International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Human Resource Management Academic Research Society, International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, vol. 3(1), pages 290-295, January.
- Hessels, Jolanda & Parker, Simon C., 2013. "Constraints, internationalization and growth: A cross-country analysis of European SMEs," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 137-148.
- Kontinen, Tanja & Ojala, Arto, 2011. "Network ties in the international opportunity recognition of family SMEs," International Business Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 440-453, August.
- Singla, Chitra & George, Rejie, 2013. "Internationalization and performance: A contextual analysis of Indian firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 66(12), pages 2500-2506.
- Salvatore Sciascia & Pietro Mazzola & Joseph Astrachan & Torsten Pieper, 2012. "The role of family ownership in international entrepreneurship: exploring nonlinear effects," Small Business Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 15-31, January.
- Herlina Yoka Roida Author_Email: firstname.lastname@example.org & Nekhasius Agus Sunarjanto, 2011. "FAMILY OWNERSHIP TYPE AND THE INTERNATIONAL INVOLVEMENT OF SMEs: EMPIRICAL STUDY OF AGENCY THEORY IN EAST JAVA INDONESIA," 2nd International Conference on Business and Economic Research (2nd ICBER 2011) Proceeding, Conference Master Resources 2011-204, Conference Master Resources.
- Sanchez-Bueno, Maria J. & Usero, Belen, 2014. "How may the nature of family firms explain the decisions concerning international diversification?," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 67(7), pages 1311-1320.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.