Real options in multinational decision-making: Managerial awareness and risk implications
AbstractThis paper addresses the theme of real options decision-making in multinational corporations (MNCs) and stresses the role of real options attention and managerial learning in company performance. Using a sample of 278 large MNCs with categorised degrees of managerial real options awareness, we examine the risk implications of switching options in multinational operations, and explore the extent to which the real options logic can be classified as "best practice" in decision-making and risk management. Our results reveal that MNCs which have high managerial awareness about their real options are able to reduce their downside risk through multinationality, organisational slack and other firm characteristics. This finding does not apply fully to MNCs without evidence of such an awareness. Also, although real options awareness does not systematically guarantee lower downside risk from operations, supplementary results indicate that MNCs with evidence of significant investment in the acquisition of real options knowledge tend to outperform competitors that are unaware of their real options. This suggests that if real options are explored and exploited appropriately, real options decision-making can result into superior performance for MNCs in the long-term.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of World Business.
Volume (Year): 46 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jay B. Barney, 1986. "Strategic Factor Markets: Expectations, Luck, and Business Strategy," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(10), pages 1231-1241, October.
- Corey Billington & Blake Johnson & Alex Triantis, 2002. "A REAL OPTIONS PERSPECTIVE ON SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT IN HIGH TECHNOLOGY-super-1," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 15(2), pages 32-43.
- Alex Triantis & Adam Borison, 2001. "Real Options: State Of The Practice," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 14(2), pages 8-24.
- Fisher, Franklin M, 1970. "Tests of Equality Between Sets of Coefficients in Two Linear Regressions: An Expository Note," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 38(2), pages 361-66, March.
- Peter J Buckley & Pervez N Ghauri, 2004. "Globalisation, economic geography and the strategy of multinational enterprises," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(3), pages 255-255, May.
- Pietra Rivoli & Eugene Salorio, 1996. "Foreign Direct Investment and Investment under Uncertainty," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(2), pages 335-357, June.
- Coff, Russell W. & Laverty, Kevin J., 2001. "Real options on knowledge assets: Panacea or Pandora's box?," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 44(6), pages 73-79.
- Subramanian Rangan, 1998. "Do Multinationals Operate Flexibly? Theory and Evidence," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(2), pages 217-237, June.
- Jeffrey J. Reuer & Tony W. Tong, 2007. "Corporate investments and growth options," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(8), pages 863-877.
- Christos Pantzalis, 2001. "Does Location Matter? An Empirical Analysis of Geographic Scope and MNC Market Valuation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(1), pages 133-155, March.
- Bruce Kogut & Nalin Kulatilaka, 1994. "Operating Flexibility, Global Manufacturing, and the Option Value of a Multinational Network," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(1), pages 123-139, January.
- Peter J Buckley & Pervez N Ghauri, 2004. "Globalisation, economic geography and the strategy of multinational enterprises," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(2), pages 81-98, March.
- Lenn Gomes & Kannan Ramaswamy, 1999. "An Empirical Examination of the Form of the Relationship Between Multinationality and Performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 30(1), pages 173-187, March.
- Kee H. Chung & Charlie Charoenwong, 1991. "Investment Options, Assets in Place, and the Risk of Stocks," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 20(3), Fall.
- McCarthy, Daniel J. & Puffer, Sheila M., 1997. "Strategic investment flexibility for MNE success in Russia: Evolving beyond entry modes," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 293-319, January.
- Kent D Miller & Jeffrey J Reuer, 1998. "Firm Strategy and Economic Exposure to Foreign Exchange Rate Movements," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(3), pages 493-513, September.
- Tony W Tong & Jeffrey J Reuer, 2007. "Real options in multinational corporations: organizational challenges and risk implications," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(2), pages 215-230, March.
- Bruce Kogut, 1984. "Normative Observations on the International Value-Added Chain and Strategic Groups," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 15(2), pages 151-167, June.
- Graham, John R. & Harvey, Campbell R., 2001. "The theory and practice of corporate finance: evidence from the field," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2-3), pages 187-243, May.
- Trevis Certo, S. & Connelly, Brian L. & Tihanyi, Laszlo, 2008. "Managers and their not-so rational decisions," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 113-119.
- Doukas, John & Travlos, Nickolaos G, 1988. " The Effect of Corporate Multinationalism on Shareholders' Wealth: Evidence from International Acquisitions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(5), pages 1161-75, December.
- Panayi, Sylvia & Trigeorgis, Lenos, 1998. "Multi-stage Real Options: The Cases of Information Technology Infrastructure and International Bank Expansion," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(3, Part 2), pages 675-692.
- Alexander Triantis, 2005. "Realizing the Potential of Real Options: Does Theory Meet Practice?," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 17(2), pages 8-16.
- Lee, Seung-Hyun & Makhija, Mona & Paik, Yongsun, 2008. "The value of real options investments under abnormal uncertainty: The case of the Korean economic crisis," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 16-34, January.
- Bruce Kogut, 1991. "Joint Ventures and the Option to Expand and Acquire," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(1), pages 19-33, January.
- Linda Allen & Christos Pantzalis, 1996. "Valuation of the operating Flexibility of Multinational Corporations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(4), pages 633-653, December.
- Aabo, Tom & Simkins, Betty J., 2005. "Interaction between real options and financial hedging: Fact or fiction in managerial decision-making," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3-4), pages 353-369.
- Belderbos, Rene & Tong, Tony W. & Wu, Shubin, 2012. "Multinationality and downside risk: The contingent roles of option portfolio characteristics and organizational factors," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/355164, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Musso, Fabio & Francioni, Barbara, 2012. "The Influence Of Decision-Maker Characteristics On The International Strategic Decision-Making Process: An SME Perspective," MPRA Paper 50063, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.