Korea's multinationals in a regional world
AbstractBasic theory suggests that multinational enterprises (MNEs) succeed when they develop firm-specific advantages (FSAs). In Korea, large MNEs, mostly chaebols, have built successful knowledge based FSAs. They are also utilizing scale economies based on Korea's country-specific advantages (CSAs) in skilled labor and a supporting government. In the empirical work, we find that the Korean MNEs use their FSAs to operate mainly on a home region basis, much like the world's other large MNEs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of World Business.
Volume (Year): 43 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chang Moon, H. & Rugman, Alan M. & Verbeke, Alain, 1998. "A generalized double diamond approach to the global competitiveness of Korea and Singapore," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 135-150, April.
- Lance Eliot Brouthers & John Hadjimarcou, 2005. "Generic Product Strategies for Emerging Market Exports into Triad Nation Markets: A Mimetic Isomorphism Approach," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 225-245, 01.
- Alan M Rugman & Alain Verbeke, 2004.
"A perspective on regional and global strategies of multinational enterprises,"
Journal of International Business Studies,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(1), pages 3-18, January.
- Alan M. Rugman & Alain Verbeke, 2004. "A Perspective on Regional and Global Strategies of Multinational Enterprises," Working Papers 2004-19, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
- Hobday, Mike, 1995. "East Asian latecomer firms: Learning the technology of electronics," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(7), pages 1171-1193, July.
- Rugman, Alan & Girod, Stéphane, 2003. "Retail Multinationals and Globalization:: The Evidence is Regional," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 24-37, February.
- Morck, R. & Yeung, B., 1991.
"Why Investors Value Multinationality,"
282, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Chang Hoon Oh & Alan M. Rugman, 2007.
"Regional Multinationals and the Korean Comestics Industry,"
2007-11, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
- Chang Oh & Alan Rugman, 2007. "Regional multinationals and the Korean cosmetics industry," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 27-42, March.
- Simon Collinson & Alan Rugman, 2007. "The regional character of Asian multinational enterprises," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 24(4), pages 429-446, December.
- Alan M Rugman & Alain Verbeke, 2003. "Extending the theory of the multinational enterprise: internalization and strategic management perspectives," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(2), pages 125-137, March.
- Chang, Sea Jin & Choi, Unghwan, 1988. "Strategy, Structure and Performance of Korean Business Groups: A Transactions Cost Approach," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(2), pages 141-58, December.
- Paik, Yongsun & Derick Sohn, J. H., 1998. "Confucius in Mexico: Korean MNCs and the maquiladoras," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 25-33.
- Mathews, John A. & Cho, Dong-Sung, 1999. "Combinative capabilities and organizational learning in latecomer firms: the case of the Korean semiconductor industry," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 139-156, July.
- Mike Peng & Andrew Delios, 2006. "What determines the scope of the firm over time and around the world? An Asia Pacific perspective," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 385-405, December.
- repec:fth:michin:282 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lenn Gomes & Kannan Ramaswamy, 1999. "An Empirical Examination of the Form of the Relationship Between Multinationality and Performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 30(1), pages 173-187, March.
- Chang Hoon Oh & Alan M. Rugman, 2006. "The Regional Sales of Multinationals in the World Cosmetics Industry," Working Papers 2006-20, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
- Sea-Jin Chang, 2006. "Business groups in East Asia: Post-crisis restructuring and new growth," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 407-417, December.
- Errunza, Vihang R & Senbet, Lemma W, 1984. " International Corporate Diversification, Market Valuation, and Size-Adjusted Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 727-43, July.
- Nelson, Richard R. & Pack, Howard, 1998.
"The Asian miracle and modern growth theory,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1881, The World Bank.
- Lee, Sang-Myung & Ungson, Gerardo R., 2008. "Towards a theory of synchronous technological assimilation: The case of Korea's Internet economy," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 274-289, July.
- Fastoso, Fernando & Whitelock, Jeryl, 2010. "Regionalization vs. globalization in advertising research: Insights from five decades of academic study," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 32-42, March.
- Rugman, Alan M. & Oh, Chang Hoon, 2010. "Does the regional nature of multinationals affect the multinationality and performance relationship?," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 479-488, October.
- Eng, Teck-Yong & Spickett-Jones, J. Graham, 2009. "An investigation of marketing capabilities and upgrading performance of manufacturers in mainland China and Hong Kong," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 463-475, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.