Estimating the Impacts of Bolivia’s Protected Areas on Poverty
AbstractBolivia has experienced a rapid proliferation of protected areas over the past several decades. Using rich biophysical and socioeconomic data, we estimate the impacts of Bolivia’s protected areas on poverty between 1992 and 2001. We find no evidence that the establishment of protected areas exacerbated poverty. In fact, we provide robust estimates indicating that communities affected by protected areas exhibited differentially greater levels of poverty reduction as compared to similar unaffected communities. Our results add to the growing body of evidence that environmental conservation does not necessarily come at the expense of local communities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal World Development.
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): C ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev
poverty; protected areas; impacts; program evaluation; South America; Bolivia;
Other versions of this item:
- Gustavo Canavire-Bacarreza & Merlin M. Hanauer, 2012. "Estimating the Impacts of Bolivia's Protected Areas on Poverty," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper1208, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Canavire Bacarreza, Gustavo Javier & Hanauer, Merlin M., 2012. "Estimating the Impacts of Bolivia's Protected Areas on Poverty," IZA Discussion Papers 6341, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- I38 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Government Programs; Provision and Effects of Welfare Programs
- Q56 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environment and Development; Environment and Trade; Sustainability; Environmental Accounts and Accounting; Environmental Equity; Population Growth
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robalino, Juan A., 2007. "Land conservation policies and income distribution: who bears the burden of our environmental efforts?," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 521-533, August.
- Romina Cavatassi & Benjamin Davis & Leslie Lipper, 2004. "Estimating Poverty Over Time and Space: Construction of a time-variant poverty index for Costa Rica," Working Papers 04-21, Agricultural and Development Economics Division of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO - ESA).
- Guido M. Imbens & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2008.
"Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation,"
NBER Working Papers
14251, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guido W. Imbens & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2009. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 47(1), pages 5-86, March.
- Imbens, Guido W. & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 2008. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," IZA Discussion Papers 3640, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Guido Imbens & Jeffrey Wooldridge, 2008. "Recent developments in the econometrics of program evaluation," CeMMAP working papers CWP24/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Imbens, Guido & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 2009. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," Scholarly Articles 3043416, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- David J. Lewis & Gary L. Hunt & Andrew J. Plantinga, 2003. "Does Public Lands Policy Affect Local Wage Growth?," Growth and Change, Gatton College of Business and Economics, University of Kentucky, vol. 34(1), pages 64-86.
- Sims, Katharine R.E., 2010. "Conservation and development: Evidence from Thai protected areas," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 94-114, September.
- Pfaff Alexander & Robalino Juan & Sanchez-Azofeifa G. Arturo & Andam Kwaw S & Ferraro Paul J, 2009. "Park Location Affects Forest Protection: Land Characteristics Cause Differences in Park Impacts across Costa Rica," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 9(2), pages 1-26, July.
- Filmer, Deon & Pritchett, Lant, 1998. "Estimating wealth effects without expenditure data - or tears : with an application to educational enrollments in states of India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1994, The World Bank.
- Lewis, David A. & Hunt, Gary L. & Plantinga, Andrew J., 2001.
"Public Conservation Land And Employment Growth In The Northern Forest Region,"
2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL
20748, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- David J. Lewis & Gary L. Hunt & DAndrew J. Plantinga, 2002. "Public Conservation Land and Employment Growth in the Northern Forest Region," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 78(2), pages 245-259.
- Robalino, Juan & Villalobos-Fiatt, Laura, 2010. "Conservation Policies and Labor Markets: Unraveling the Effects of National Parks on Local Wages in Costa Rica," Discussion Papers dp-10-02-efd, Resources For the Future.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Estimating the Impacts of Bolivia's Protected Areas on Poverty
by Maximo Rossi in Wikiprogress América Latina on 2012-03-12 13:37:00
- Estimating the Impacts of Bolivia's Protected Areas on Poverty
by Maximo Rossi in Wikiprogress América Latina on 2012-03-05 17:45:00
- Ãreas Protegidas y Pobreza en Bolivia
by email@example.com (Nueva EconomÃa) in Foro para una Nueva Economía on 2012-05-02 16:34:00
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.