Public Conservation Land and Employment Growth in the Northern Forest Region
AbstractWe quantify the effect that public conservation lands have on employment growth in the Northern Forest region of the United States. A model of simultaneous employment and net migration growth is estimated with data on non-metropolitan counties from 1990 to 1997. Exogenous variables include the 1990 share of the land base in public conservation uses. We find that net migration rates were higher in counties with more conservation lands, but the effects are relatively small. No significant effect on employment growth is detected. As well, variables measuring changes in public timber harvests have no effect on employment growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 78 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
Other versions of this item:
- Lewis, David A. & Hunt, Gary L. & Plantinga, Andrew J., 2001. "Public Conservation Land And Employment Growth In The Northern Forest Region," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20748, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Q26 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Recreational Aspects of Natural Resources
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diana M. Burton, 1997. "An Astructural Analysis of National Forest Policy and Employment," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 964-974.
- Knapp, Thomas A. & Graves, Philip E., 1989. "On the role of amenities in models of migration and regional development," MPRA Paper 19914, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Greenwood, Michael J & Hunt, Gary L, 1984. "Migration and Interregional Employment Redistribution in the United States," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(5), pages 957-69, December.
- Treyz, George I, et al, 1993. "The Dynamics of U.S. Internal Migration," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(2), pages 209-14, May.
- Roback, Jennifer, 1982. "Wages, Rents, and the Quality of Life," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(6), pages 1257-78, December.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- McGranahan, David A., 1999. "Natural Amenities Drive Rural Population Change," Agricultural Economics Reports 33955, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Mueser Peter R. & Graves Philip E., 1995. "Examining the Role of Economic Opportunity and Amenities in Explaining Population Redistribution," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 176-200, March.
- Lewis, David J. & Provencher, Bill & Butsic, Van, 2009. "The dynamic effects of open-space conservation policies on residential development density," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 239-252, May.
- Waltert, Fabian & Schläpfer, Felix, 2010. "Landscape amenities and local development: A review of migration, regional economic and hedonic pricing studies," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 141-152, December.
- Fabian Waltert & Felix Schlaepfer, 2007. "The role of landscape amenities in regional development: a survey of migration, regional economic and hedonic pricing studies," SOI - Working Papers 0710, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich.
- Wu, JunJie & Plantinga, Andrew J., 2003. "The influence of public open space on urban spatial structure," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 288-309, September.
- Robalino, Juan & Villalobos-Fiatt, Laura, 2010. "Conservation Policies and Labor Markets: Unraveling the Effects of National Parks on Local Wages in Costa Rica," Discussion Papers dp-10-02-efd, Resources For the Future.
- Plantinga, Andrew J. & Détang-Dessendre, Cécile & Hunt, Gary L. & Piguet, Virginie, 2013. "Housing prices and inter-urban migration," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 296-306.
- Tommy Lundgren, 2009. "Environmental Protection and Impact on Adjacent Economies: Evidence from the Swedish Mountain Region," Growth and Change, Gatton College of Business and Economics, University of Kentucky, vol. 40(3), pages 513-532.
- Hunt, Gary L. & Kerkvliet, Joe & Plantinga, Andrew J., 2004. "The Economic Consequences Of Reserving Federal Land For Biodiversity Protection In The U.S. Pacific Northwest," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20288, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Andam, Kwaw S. & Ferraro, Paul J. & Holland, Margaret B., 2009. "What are the social impacts of land use restrictions on local communities? Empirical evidence from Costa Rica," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51783, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Hailu, Yohannes G. & Brown, Cheryl, 2005. "A Growth-Focused Spatial Econometric Model of Agricultural Land Development in the Northeast," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19488, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Partridge, Mark D. & Rickman, Dan S., 2012. "Integrating regional economic development analysis and land use economics," MPRA Paper 38291, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Canavire-Bacarreza, Gustavo & Hanauer, Merlin M., 2013.
"Estimating the Impacts of Bolivia’s Protected Areas on Poverty,"
Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 265-285.
- Gustavo Canavire-Bacarreza & Merlin M. Hanauer, 2012. "Estimating the Impacts of Bolivia's Protected Areas on Poverty," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper1208, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Canavire Bacarreza, Gustavo Javier & Hanauer, Merlin M., 2012. "Estimating the Impacts of Bolivia's Protected Areas on Poverty," IZA Discussion Papers 6341, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gustavo Canavire-Bacarreza & Merlin M. Hanauer, 2012. "Estimating the Impacts of Bolivia's Protected Areas on Poverty," Working Papers 201231, Latin American and Caribbean Environmental Economics Program, revised 2012.
- Paul Ferraro & Merlin Hanauer, 2011. "Protecting Ecosystems and Alleviating Poverty with Parks and Reserves: ‘Win-Win’ or Tradeoffs?," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 48(2), pages 269-286, February.
- Cecile Detang-Dessendre & Gary Hunt & Virginie Piguet & Andrew Plantinga, 2011. "Housing Prices and Inter-urban Migration," ERSA conference papers ersa11p938, European Regional Science Association.
- Petrick, Martin, 2006. "Should the Government Finance Public Goods in Rural Areas? A Review of Arguments," Staff Paper Series 497, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Lynch, Lori & Duke, Joshua M., 2007. "Economic Benefits of Farmland Preservation: Evidence from the United States," Working Papers 7342, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Mann, Stefan, 2006. "Population development in rural Switzerland: Do sectors matter?," Working Papers 30710, Agroscope Reckenholz Tanikon (ART).
- Hailu, Yohannes G. & Brown, Cheryl, 2007. "Regional Growth Impacts on Agricultural Land Development: A Spatial Model for Three States," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 36(1), April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.