Estimating Poverty Over Time and Space: Construction of a time-variant poverty index for Costa Rica
AbstractThis paper presents the construction of a spatially explicit, nationally disaggregated measure of poverty over time in Costa Rica. The paper first describes the two possible methods considered for the construction of a poverty map: principal component analysis (PCA) versus small area estimation. Next, reasons for choosing PCA and a description of its application both at one point in time (1973) and over time are presented together with the resulting poverty maps. The methodology applied represents a methodological innovation in that the resulting poverty map is time variant rather than concentrated in a single moment in time. A comparison of the results obtainable using various techniques and a discussion on the relative merits of the various options available concludes the paper.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Agricultural and Development Economics Division of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO - ESA) in its series Working Papers with number 04-21.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Agricultural Sector in Economic Development Service FAO Viale delle Terme di Caracalla 00153 Rome Italy
Phone: +39(6) 57051
Fax: +39 06 57055522
Web page: http://www.fao.org/es/esa/
More information through EDIRC
Poverty Mapping; Principal Component Analysis; Time-variant Poverty Index; Small-area Estimation.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
- C31 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models; Quantile Regressions; Social Interaction Models
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Andam, Kwaw S. & Ferraro, Paul J. & Holland, Margaret B., 2009. "What are the social impacts of land use restrictions on local communities? Empirical evidence from Costa Rica," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51783, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Abera Demeke & Alwin Keil & Manfred Zeller, 2011.
"Using panel data to estimate the effect of rainfall shocks on smallholders food security and vulnerability in rural Ethiopia,"
Springer, vol. 108(1), pages 185-206, September.
- Demeke, Abera Birhanu & Zeller, Manfred, 2009. "Using panel data to estimate the effect of rainfall shocks on smallholders food security and vulnerability in rural Ethiopia," Research in Development Economics and Policy (Discussion Paper Series) 57994, Universitaet Hohenheim, Department of Agricultural Economics and Social Sciences in the Tropics and Subtropics.
- Paul Ferraro & Merlin Hanauer, 2011. "Protecting Ecosystems and Alleviating Poverty with Parks and Reserves: ‘Win-Win’ or Tradeoffs?," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 48(2), pages 269-286, February.
- Canavire-Bacarreza, Gustavo & Hanauer, Merlin M., 2013.
"Estimating the Impacts of Bolivia’s Protected Areas on Poverty,"
Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 265-285.
- Gustavo Canavire-Bacarreza & Merlin M. Hanauer, 2012. "Estimating the Impacts of Bolivia's Protected Areas on Poverty," Working Papers 201231, Latin American and Caribbean Environmental Economics Program, revised 2012.
- Canavire Bacarreza, Gustavo Javier & Hanauer, Merlin M., 2012. "Estimating the Impacts of Bolivia's Protected Areas on Poverty," IZA Discussion Papers 6341, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gustavo Canavire-Bacarreza & Merlin M. Hanauer, 2012. "Estimating the Impacts of Bolivia's Protected Areas on Poverty," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper1208, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Tsehay, Abrham Seyoum & Bauer, Siegfried, 0. "Poverty and Vulnerability Dynamics: Empirical Evidence from Smallholders in Northern Highlands of Ethiopia," Quarterly Journal of International Agriculture, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, vol. 51.
- Tsehay, Abrham Seyoum & Bauer, Siegfried, 2012. "Poverty Dynamics and Vulnerability: Empirical Evidence from Smallholders in Northern Highlands of Ethiopia," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126873, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gustavo Anríquez) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Gustavo Anríquez to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.