Contrasting Visions for Aid and Governance in the 21st Century: The White House Millennium Challenge Account and DFID's Drivers of Change
AbstractSummary Governance is becoming increasingly important in development and poverty reduction policies. However, the forms and methods by which it is to be incorporated into donor programs are only emerging at present. In this paper, we contrast two very different approaches--the White House led Millennium Challenge Account (MCA) and DFID's Drivers of Change (DOC) Approach--to analyzing governance, and compare their theoretical underpinnings. A key factor explaining why these different approaches have been adopted is that for the United States, global poverty reduction is a footnote to its foreign policy and national security agenda, whereas in the United Kingdom, global poverty reduction engages both the national political leadership and the civil society. In conclusion, the paper suggests that enduring contradictions confronted by all donors complicate the treatment of governance in empirically nuanced terms (as DOC attempts to do) while privileging a more universalistic approach like the MCA.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal World Development.
Volume (Year): 37 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev
aid governance poverty reduction MCA drivers of change;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tony Killick, 2004. "Politics, Evidence and the New Aid Agenda," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 22(1), pages 5-29, 01.
- Markus Goldstein & Todd Moss, 2005. "Compassionate conservatives or conservative compassionates? US political parties and bilateral foreign assistance to Africa," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(7), pages 1288-1302.
- Harvey, David, 2003. "The New Imperialism," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199264315.
- Tony Killick, 2005. "Policy Autonomy and the History of British Aid to Africa," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 23(6), pages 665-681, November.
- Steven Radelet, 2003. "Challenging Foreign Aid: A Policymaker's Guide to the Millennium Challenge Account," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number cgd371.
- Andrew S. Natsios, 2006. "Five Debates on International Development: The US Perspective," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 24(2), pages 131-139, 03.
- Baulch, Bob, 2006. "Aid distribution and the MDGs," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 933-950, June.
- Carol Lancaster, 2000. "Transforming Foreign Aid: United States Assistance in the 21st Century," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 321.
- David Hulme, 2007. "The Making of the Millennium Development Goals: Human Development Meets Results based Management In an Imperfect World," Brooks World Poverty Institute Working Paper Series 1607, BWPI, The University of Manchester.
- Collier, Paul & Dollar, David, 1999.
"Aid allocation and poverty reduction,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2041, The World Bank.
- M. Doornbos, 2001. "'Good Governance': The Rise and Decline of a Policy Metaphor?," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(6), pages 93-108.
- Knoll, Martin & Zloczysti, Petra, 2011.
"The Good Governance Indicators of the Millennium Challenge Account: How many dimensions are really being measured,"
2011/2, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
- Knoll, Martin & Zloczysti, Petra, 2012. "The Good Governance Indicators of the Millennium Challenge Account: How Many Dimensions are Really Being Measured?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 900-915.
- Martin Knoll & Petra Zloczysti, 2011. "The Good Governance Indicators of the Millennium Challenge Account: How Many Dimensions Are Really Being Measured?," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1148, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Larsen, Rasmus Kløcker & Mamosso, Christiane Alzouma, 2014. "Aid with Blinkers: Environmental Governance of Uranium Mining in Niger," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 56(C), pages 62-76.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.