An economic analysis of track maintenance costs
AbstractThe costs for maintaining different track units are analyzed using Swedish and Finnish railway data for the years 1994-1996 and 1997-1999, respectively. To derive insights on the logic of spending on track maintenance, the analysis is based on few a priori assumptions about underlying structures. We provide indications of scale economies in track maintenance with respect to traffic load and calculate a policy-relevant derivative value, i.e. the marginal cost of track use. The paper points to the type of data that has to be compiled in order to implement a recent Directive of the European Commission in a consistent way.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transport Policy.
Volume (Year): 11 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30473/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- De Borger, Bruno, 1993. "The Economic Environment and Public Enterprise Behaviour: Belgian Railroads, 1950-86," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 60(240), pages 443-63, November.
- Kessides, Ioannis N. & Willig, Robert D., 1995. "Restructuring regulation of the rail industry for the public interest," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1506, The World Bank.
- Ivaldi, Marc & Mccullough, Gerard, 1999.
"Density and Integration Effects on Class I U.S. Freight Railroads,"
IDEI Working Papers
93, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Ivaldi, M & McCullough, G J, 2001. "Density and Integration Effects on Class I U.S. Freight Railroads," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 161-82, March.
- Ivaldi, M. & McCullough, G., 1999. "Density and Integration Effects on Class I U.S. Freight Railroads," Papers 99.526, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Andrew Smith & Phill Wheat, 2012. "Estimation of cost inefficiency in panel data models with firm specific and sub-company specific effects," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 27-40, February.
- Marc Gaudry & Emile Quinet, 2009. "Track wear-and-tear cost by traffic class: Functional form, zero output levels and marginal cost pricing recovery on the French rail network," Working Papers halshs-00574977, HAL.
- Andersson, Mats, 2011. "Marginal cost of railway infrastructure wear and tear for freight and passenger trains in Sweden," European Transport \ Trasporti Europei, ISTIEE, Institute for the Study of Transport within the European Economic Integration, issue 48, pages 3-23.
- Gerhard Munduch & Alexander Pfister & Leopold Sögner & Alfred Stiassny, 2002. "Estimating Marginal Costs for the Austrian Railway System," Department of Economics Working Papers wuwp078, Vienna University of Economics, Department of Economics.
- Link, Heike & GÃ¶tze, Wolfgang & Himanen, Veli, 2009. "Estimating the marginal costs of airport operation using multivariate time series models with correlated error terms," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 41-46.
- Andersson, Mats, 2007. "Fixed Effects Estimation of Marginal Railway Infrastructure Costs in Sweden," Working Papers 2007:11, Swedish National Road & Transport Research Institute (VTI).
- Andersson, Mats, 2006. "Marginal railway infrastructure cost estimates in the presence of unobserved effects," Working Papers 2006:6, Swedish National Road & Transport Research Institute (VTI).
- Heike Link, 2003. "Estimates of marginal infrastructure costs for different modes of transport," ERSA conference papers ersa03p75, European Regional Science Association.
- Franklin, Francis & Nemtanu, Florin & Teixeira, Paulo F., 2013. "Rail infrastructure, ITS and access charges," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 31-42.
- Heike Link & Wolfgang Götze & Veli Himanen, 2006. "Estimating the marginal costs of airport operation by using multivariate time series model with correlated error terms," Working Papers 11, Institute of Transport Economics, University of Muenster.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.