The effect of mergers on efficiency and productivity of public transport services
AbstractMerger is a process whereby two or more companies merge into one company to strengthen their market positions. Merger in the bus transport sector has been prevalent in Europe, and elsewhere, since the early 1990s. A question rarely addressed by researchers of transportation is the extent to which mergers lead to efficiency by which services are provided to the public. This is the substantive issue in this paper in which Norwegian data are used to assess the impact that mergers have on the performances of bus companies. The data cover the period 1995-2002; 1995-1998 are the pre-mergers years and the post-merger years are 1999-2002. The framework for the analyses is that of data envelopment analysis and the Malmquist productivity index (MPI) to investigate the impacts of mergers on efficiency and productivity growth, respectively. It is found that: (1) there is great potential for efficiency and productivity improvements in the bus industry; (2) mergers outperformed non-mergers as far as scale efficiency was concerned; and (3) the merger process led to productivity improvements in the post-merger periods for the reasons that merged companies utilized their scale economies to improve efficiencies while the non-mergers significantly became more technically innovative in order to be competitive. These results are an asset to the less-explored field of the impact of mergers in transportation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice.
Volume (Year): 42 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Odeck, James, 2006. "Congestion, ownership, region of operation, and scale: Their impact on bus operator performance in Norway," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 52-69, March.
- Dag Dalen & Andres Gómez-Lobo, 2003. "Yardsticks on the road: Regulatory contracts and cost efficiency in the Norwegian bus industry," Transportation, Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 371-386, November.
- Pacheco, R. R. & Fernandes, E., 2003. "Managerial efficiency of Brazilian airports," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 667-680, October.
- Tim J. Coelli, 1995.
"Recent Developments In Frontier Modelling And Efficiency Measurement,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 39(3), pages 219-245, December.
- Coelli, Tim J., 1995. "Recent Developments In Frontier Modelling And Efficiency Measurement," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 39(03), December.
- Coelli, T. J., 1995. "Recent Developments in Frontier Modelling and Efficiency Measurement," 1995 Conference (39th), February 14-16, 1995, Perth, Australia 148798, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- James Odeck & Abdulrahim Alkadi, 2001. "Evaluating efficiency in the Norwegian bus industry using data envelopment analysis," Transportation, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 211-232, August.
- Cullinane, Kevin & Wang, Teng-Fei & Song, Dong-Wook & Ji, Ping, 2006. "The technical efficiency of container ports: Comparing data envelopment analysis and stochastic frontier analysis," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 354-374, May.
- Kerstens, K., 1996. "Technical efficiency measurement and explanation of French urban transit companies," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 431-452, November.
- Patrick L. Brockett & Boaz Golany, 1996. "Using Rank Statistics for Determining Programmatic Efficiency Differences in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(3), pages 466-472, March.
- C. Lovell, 2003. "The Decomposition of Malmquist Productivity Indexes," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 437-458, November.
- Bekken, Jon-Terje & Longva, Frode & Fearnley, Nils & Osland, Oddgeir, 2006. "Norwegian experiences with tendered buss services," European Transport \ Trasporti Europei, ISTIEE, Institute for the Study of Transport within the European Economic Integration, issue 33, pages 29-40.
- Jonathan Cowie & Darinka Asenova, 1999. "Organisation form, scale effects and efficiency in the British bus industry," Transportation, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 231-248, August.
- Juan, Zhichai & Wu, Jianping & McDonald, Mike, 2003. "The socio-economic impacts assessment of advanced convoy driving on motorway," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 731-747, November.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Karlaftis, Matthew G., 2003. "Investigating transit production and performance: a programming approach," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 225-240, March.
- Bjurek, Hans & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1995. "Productivity in multiple output public service: A quadratic frontier function and Malmquist index approach," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 447-460, March.
- Odeck, James, 2000. "Assessing the relative efficiency and productivity growth of vehicle inspection services: An application of DEA and Malmquist indices," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 126(3), pages 501-514, November.
- Viton, Philip A., 1997. "Technical efficiency in multi-mode bus transit: A production frontier analysis," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 23-39, February.
- Karlaftis, Matthew G. & Tsamboulas, Dimitrios, 2012. "Efficiency measurement in public transport: Are findings specification sensitive?," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 392-402.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2012. "Measuring seaports’ productivity: A Malmquist productivity index decomposition approach," MPRA Paper 40174, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Holmgren, Johan, 2013. "The efficiency of public transport operations – An evaluation using stochastic frontier analysis," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 50-57.
- Pestana Barros, Carlos & Peypoch, Nicolas, 2010. "Productivity changes in Portuguese bus companies," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 295-302, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.