Locally stationary long memory estimation
AbstractThere exists a wide literature on parametrically or semi-parametrically modelling strongly dependent time series using a long-memory parameter d, including more recent work on wavelet estimation. As a generalization of these latter approaches, in this work we allow the long-memory parameter d to be varying over time. We adopt a semi-parametric approach in order to avoid fitting a time-varying parametric model, such as tvARFIMA, to the observed data. We study the asymptotic behavior of a local log-regression wavelet estimator of the time-dependent d. Both simulations and a real data example complete our work on providing a fairly general approach.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Stochastic Processes and their Applications.
Volume (Year): 121 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/505572/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- F. Roueff & M. S. Taqqu, 2009. "Asymptotic normality of wavelet estimators of the memory parameter for linear processes," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(5), pages 534-558, 09.
- Thomas Mikosch & Catalin Starica, 2004. "Changes of structure in financial time series and the GARCH model," Econometrics 0412003, EconWPA.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold & Paul Labys, 2003.
"Modeling and Forecasting Realized Volatility,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(2), pages 579-625, March.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold & Paul Labys, 2001. "Modeling and Forecasting Realized Volatility," NBER Working Papers 8160, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold & Paul Labys, 2001. "Modeling and Forecasting Realized Volatility," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 01-01, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Anderson, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim & Diebold, Francis X. & Labys, Paul, 2002. "Modeling and Forecasting Realized Volatility," Working Papers 02-12, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J. & Engle, Robert F., 1993. "A long memory property of stock market returns and a new model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106, June.
- Haldrup, Niels & Nielsen, Morten Orregaard, 2006.
"A regime switching long memory model for electricity prices,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 135(1-2), pages 349-376.
- Niels Haldrup & Morten O. Nielsen, 2004. "A Regime Switching Long Memory Model for Electricity Prices," Economics Working Papers 2004-2, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Dahlhaus, Rainer, 2009. "Local inference for locally stationary time series based on the empirical spectral measure," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 151(2), pages 101-112, August.
- E. Moulines & F. Roueff & M. S. Taqqu, 2007. "On the Spectral Density of the Wavelet Coefficients of Long-Memory Time Series with Application to the Log-Regression Estimation of the Memory Parameter," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(2), pages 155-187, 03.
- Dahlhaus, Rainer & Neumann, Michael H., 2001. "Locally adaptive fitting of semiparametric models to nonstationary time series," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 277-308, February.
- Roueff, F. & Taqqu, M.S., 2009. "Central limit theorems for arrays of decimated linear processes," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 119(9), pages 3006-3041, September.
- Granger, Clive W. J. & Ding, Zhuanxin, 1996. "Varieties of long memory models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 61-77, July.
- Faÿ, Gilles & Moulines, Eric & Roueff, François & Taqqu, Murad S., 2009. "Estimators of long-memory: Fourier versus wavelets," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 151(2), pages 159-177, August.
- Dahlhaus, R., 1996. "On the Kullback-Leibler information divergence of locally stationary processes," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 139-168, March.
- Tsangyao Chang & Xiao-lin Li & Stephen M. Miller & Mehmet Balcilar & Rangan Gupta, 2013.
"The Co-Movement and Causality between the U.S. Real Estate and Stock Markets in the Time and Frequency Domains,"
201365, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Tsangyao Chang & Xiao-lin Li & Stephen M. Miller & Mehmet Balcilar & Rangan Gupta, 2013. "The Co-Movement and Causality between the U.S. Real Estate and Stock Markets in the Time and Frequency Domains," Working papers 2013-34, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Jozef Barunik & Evzen Kocenda & Lukas Vacha, 2013. "Gold, Oil, and Stocks," Papers 1308.0210, arXiv.org.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.