Zip codes and spatial analysis: Problems and prospects
AbstractThe use of zip codes for spatial, demographic, and socio-economic analysis is growing. As of August 2005, 193 articles were indexed by "zip code" in the Social Sciences Citation Index, while 386 were indexed in PubMed. All of these articles were published since 1989. While the treatment of zip codes as units of analysis varies widely in epidemiology, marketing, geography, and the socio-economic planning sciences, there are a number of common "errors" that could be avoided if analysts retained a better understanding of zip code characteristics. The purpose of this paper is to outline the problems and prospects of utilizing zip codes for spatial analysis. Issues associated with spatial contiguity, data aggregation, and boundary definitions are addressed. Results suggest that, although zip codes are not the most robust spatial units of analysis available, they retain a modest degree of utility for specialized applications. Recommendations for future research regarding zip codes and their use in socio-economic applications are offered.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Socio-Economic Planning Sciences.
Volume (Year): 42 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/seps
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:asg:wpaper:1025 is not listed on IDEAS
- CHEVALIER, Philippe & THOMAS, Isabelle & GERAETS, David & GOETGHEBEUR, Els, .
"Locating fire stations: an integrated approach for Belgium,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-2390, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Chevalier, Philippe & Thomas, Isabelle & Geraets, David & Goetghebeur, Els & Janssens, Olivier & Peeters, Dominique & Plastria, Frank, 2012. "Locating fire stations: An integrated approach for Belgium," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 173-182.
- CHEVALIER, Philippe & THOMAS, Isabelle & GERAETS, David & GOETGHEBEUR, Els, 2010. "Locating fire-stations: an integrated approach for Belgium," CORE Discussion Papers 2010008, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- repec:asg:wpaper:1019 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mack, Elizabeth A. & Grubesic, Tony H., 2009. "Forecasting broadband provision," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 297-311, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.