Return predictability in African stock markets
AbstractNo abstract is available for this item.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Review of Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 12 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620170
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aggarwal, Reena & Inclan, Carla & Leal, Ricardo, 1999. "Volatility in Emerging Stock Markets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(01), pages 33-55, March.
- Karemera, David & Ojah, Kalu & Cole, John A, 1999. " Random Walks and Market Efficiency Tests: Evidence from Emerging Equity Markets," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 171-88, September.
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Ravi Jagannathan & David E. Runkle, 1993.
"On the relation between the expected value and the volatility of the nominal excess return on stocks,"
157, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Glosten, Lawrence R & Jagannathan, Ravi & Runkle, David E, 1993. " On the Relation between the Expected Value and the Volatility of the Nominal Excess Return on Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1779-1801, December.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey, 1997.
"Emerging Equity Market Volatility,"
NBER Working Papers
5307, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Booth, G. Geoffrey & Martikainen, Teppo & Tse, Yiuman, 1997. "Price and volatility spillovers in Scandinavian stock markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 811-823, June.
- Butler, Kirt C. & Malaikah, S. J., 1992. "Efficiency and inefficiency in thinly traded stock markets: Kuwait and Saudi Arabia," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 197-210, February.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Hsieh, David A, 1991. " Chaos and Nonlinear Dynamics: Application to Financial Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(5), pages 1839-77, December.
- Antonios Antoniou & Nuray Ergul & Phil Holmes, 1997. "Market Efficiency, Thin Trading and Non-linear Behaviour: Evidence from an Emerging Market," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 3(2), pages 175-190.
- Dimson, Elroy, 1979. "Risk measurement when shares are subject to infrequent trading," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 197-226, June.
- Engle, Robert F & Ng, Victor K, 1993.
" Measuring and Testing the Impact of News on Volatility,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1749-78, December.
- Robert F. Engle & Victor K. Ng, 1991. "Measuring and Testing the Impact of News on Volatility," NBER Working Papers 3681, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Whitelaw, Robert F, 1994. " Time Variations and Covariations in the Expectation and Volatility of Stock Market Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(2), pages 515-41, June.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1991. " Efficient Capital Markets: II," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(5), pages 1575-617, December.
- Belton Fleisher & Dongwei Su, 1996.
"Risk, Return and Regulation in Chinese Stock Markets,"
005, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
- Su, Dongwei & Fleisher, Belton M., 1998. "Risk, Return and Regulation in Chinese Stock Markets," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 239-256, May.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Ng, Lilian K, 1992. " Stock Price Dynamics and Firm Size: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(5), pages 1985-97, December.
- Ayadi, O. Felix & Pyun, C. S., 1994. "An application of variance ratio test to the Korean securities market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 643-658, September.
- Urrutia, Jorge L, 1995. "Tests of Random Walk and Market Efficiency for Latin American Emerging Equity Markets," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 18(3), pages 299-309, Fall.
- Stengos, Thanasis & Panas, E, 1992. "Testing the Efficiency of the Athens Stock Exchange: Some Results from the Banking Sector," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 239-52.
- Engle, Robert F & Lilien, David M & Robins, Russell P, 1987. "Estimating Time Varying Risk Premia in the Term Structure: The Arch-M Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 391-407, March.
- French, Kenneth R. & Schwert, G. William & Stambaugh, Robert F., 1987. "Expected stock returns and volatility," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 3-29, September.
- Poon, Winnie P. H. & Fung, Hung-Gay, 2000. "Red chips or H shares: which China-backed securities process information the fastest?," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(3-4), pages 315-343, December.
- De Bondt, Werner F M & Thaler, Richard, 1985. " Does the Stock Market Overreact?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(3), pages 793-805, July.
- David McMillan & Pako Thupayagale, 2011. "Measuring volatility persistence and long memory in the presence of structural breaks: Evidence from African stock markets," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(3), pages 219-241, March.
- Assaf, A., 2006. "Dependence and mean reversion in stock prices: The case of the MENA region," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 286-304, September.
- Li, Youwei & Hamill, Philip A. & Opong, Kwaku K., 2010. "Do benchmark African equity indices exhibit the stylized facts?," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 71-97.
- repec:ltr:wpaper:2009.01 is not listed on IDEAS
- Abul Shamsuddin & Jae H. Kim, 2010.
"Short-Horizon Return Predictability in International Equity Markets,"
The Financial Review,
Eastern Finance Association, vol. 45(2), pages 469-484, 05.
- Abul Shamsuddin & Jae H Kim, 2009. "Short-Horizon Return Predictability in International Equity Markets," Working Papers 2009.01, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Ntim, Collins G, 2012. "Why African Stock Markets Should Formally Harmonise and Integrate their Operations," MPRA Paper 45806, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bai, Man-Ying & Zhu, Hai-Bo, 2010. "Power law and multiscaling properties of the Chinese stock market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(9), pages 1883-1890.
- Brooks, Robert, 2007. "Power arch modelling of the volatility of emerging equity markets," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 124-133, May.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:7:y:2005:i:1:p:1-6 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cifter, Atilla, 2012. "Volatility Forecasting with Asymmetric Normal Mixture Garch Model: Evidence from South Africa," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(2), pages 127-142, June.
- Assaf, A., 2009. "Extreme observations and risk assessment in the equity markets of MENA region: Tail measures and Value-at-Risk," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 109-116, June.
- Kian-Ping Lim & Melvin J. Hinich, 2005. "Cross-temporal universality of non-linear dependencies in Asian stock markets," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 7(1), pages 1-6.
- McPherson, Matthew Q. & Palardy, Joseph, 2007. "Are international stock returns predictable?: An examination of linear and non-linear predictability using generalized spectral tests," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 452-464, December.
- Alagidede, Paul, 2011. "Return behaviour in Africa's emerging equity markets," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 133-140, May.
- Collins G. Ntim & Kwaku K. Opong & Jo Danbolt & Frank Senyo Dewotor, 2011. "Testing the weak-form efficiency in African stock markets," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(3), pages 195-218, March.
- Todd Moss and Ross Thuotte, 2013. "Nowhere Left to Hide? Stock Market Correlation, Regional Diversification, and the Case for Investing in Africa," Working Papers 316, Center for Global Development.
- Mensah, Justice T. & Pomaa-Berko, Maame & Adom, Philip Kofi, 2012. "Does Automation Improve Stock Market Efficiency? Evidence from Ghana," MPRA Paper 43642, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Khan, Walayet & Vieito, João Paulo, 2012. "Stock exchange mergers and weak form of market efficiency: The case of Euronext Lisbon," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 173-189.
- Andrew C. Worthington & Helen Higgs, 2003. "Weak-form market efficiency in European emerging and developed stock markets," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 159, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.