Dynamic environmental policy in developing countries with a dual economy
AbstractWe analyze a dynamic model of environmental policy in a stylized developing country (DC) with a dual economy. This DCâs economy is distorted because the government subsidizes the exports of the non-polluting sector of the economy. We analyze the employment and output effects of three different pollution taxes. These taxes incorporate alternate assumptions about the DC governmentâs ability to commit to its announced course of action. We describe the taxes, we examine the dependence of these taxes on the extant distortion, and we stipulate the conditions that call for an activist policy, irrespective of the length of time to which the government can commit to its announced policy. Inter alia, our analysis shows why some DC governments may not be serious about environmental protection.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Review of Economics & Finance.
Volume (Year): 11 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620165
Other versions of this item:
- D. Lee & A. Batabyal, . "Dynamic environmental policy in developing countries with a dual economy," Working Papers 2000-29, Utah State University, Department of Economics.
- O20 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - General
- Q20 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shane Bonetti & Felix FitzRoy, 1999. "Environmental Tax Reform and Government Expenditure," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 13(3), pages 289-308, April.
- Batabyal, Amitrajeet A, 1998. "Environmental Policy in Developing Countries: A Dynamic Analysis," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(3), pages 293-304, October.
- Batabyal, Amitrajeet A., 1996.
"Developing Countries and Environmental Protection: The Effects of Budget Balance and Pollution Ceiling Constraints,"
9617, Utah State University, Department of Economics.
- Batabyal, Amitrajeet A., 1997. "Developing countries and environmental protection: the effects of budget balance and pollution ceiling constraints," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 285-305, December.
- Batabyal, Amitrajeet A., 1996. "Developing Countries And Environmental Protection: The Effect Of Budget Balance And Pollution Ceiling Constraints," Economics Research Institute, ERI Study Papers 28347, Utah State University, Economics Department.
- Batabyal, Amitrajeet A., 1994. "An open economy model of the effects of unilateral environmental policy by a large developing country," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 221-232, August.
- Batabyal, Amitrajeet A., 1995.
"Game Models of Environmental Policy in an Open Economy,"
9511, Utah State University, Department of Economics.
- Amitrajeet A. Batabyal, 1996. "Game models of environmental policy in an open economy," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 185-200.
- Batabyal, Amitrajeet A., 1995. "Game Models Of Environmental Policy In An Open Economy," Economics Research Institute, ERI Study Papers 28364, Utah State University, Economics Department.
- Amitrajeet Batabyal, 1994. "On the possibility of attaining environmental and trade objectives simultaneously," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 4(6), pages 545-553, December.
- Christainsen, G.B. & Tietenberg, T.H., 1985. "Distributional and macroeconomic aspects of environmental policy," Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics, in: A. V. Kneese† & J. L. Sweeney (ed.), Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 9, pages 345-393 Elsevier.
- Karp, Larry & Newbery, David M., 1993.
"Intertemporal consistency issues in depletable resources,"
Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics,
in: A. V. Kneese† & J. L. Sweeney (ed.), Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 19, pages 881-931
- Karp, Larry & Newbery, David M G, 1989. "Intertemporal Consistency Issues in Depletable Resources," CEPR Discussion Papers 346, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mehmet, Ozay, 1995. "Employment creation and green development strategy," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 11-19, October.
- Amitrajeet A. Batabyal, 1993. "Should Large Developing Countries Pursue Environmental Policy Unilaterally?," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 28(2), pages 191-202, July.
- J N Lekakis, 1991. "Employment effects of environmental policies in Greece," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 23(11), pages 1627-1637, November.
- Amitrajeet Batabyal, 1999. "Developing Countries and Environmental Protection: Contract Design in Perfectly Correlated Environments," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 305-323, July.
- Amitrajeet A. Batabyal & Qing Xu, 2001. "Price competition, pollution, and environmental policy in an open economy," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 59-79.
- Amitrajeet A. Batabyal, 1998. "Games governments play: An analysis of national environmental policy in an open economy," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 237-251.
- Marc, GERMAIN, 2005. "Impacts d’une politique de dépollution dans un modèle à la Heckscher-Ohlin dynamique," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2005010, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:15:y:2007:i:9:p:1-10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Adile TAMGUICHT, 2007. "Public versus personal welfare: an aspect of environmental policymaking in developing countries," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 15(9), pages 1-10.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.