Changes to university IPR regulations in Europe and the impact on academic patenting
AbstractThis article develops a general framework to describe the changes in university IPR regulations in Europe and their effects on the patenting activities of universities and on knowledge transfer processes. Understanding the effects of changes in IPR regulations on academic patenting is a complex issue, and parallels with the US case can be misleading. First, despite the general trend towards institutional ownership, university IPR regulations in Europe remain extremely differentiated and there is no one-to-one mapping to the US system. Second, it is difficult to disentangle the quantitative and qualitative effects of changes in IPR ownership regulations on academic patenting activities from the effects of concurrent transformations in the institutional, cultural and organizational landscape surrounding academic knowledge transfer. The article proposes a review and typological classification of national university IPR ownership systems on the basis of their development since 2000, and uses it to analyze the aggregate dynamics of academic patent ownership in several European countries. The analysis of patterns of ownership of academic patents shows that there has been a general increase in university patenting since 1990, with a significant slowdown (and even reduction in some countries) after early 2000s accompanied by a switch in academic patents ownership in favor of university ownership though preserving the European specificity of high company ownership of academic invented patents.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Research Policy.
Volume (Year): 40 (2011)
Issue (Month): 8 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/respol
Academic patenting University-owned patents University-invented patents Intellectual property rights regulation University-industry knowledge transfer;
Other versions of this item:
- Geuna Aldo & Rossi Federica, 2010. "Changes to university IPR regulations in Europe and the impact on academic patenting," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio 201015, University of Turin.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sidonia von Proff & Guido Buenstorf & Martin Hummel, 2012.
"University Patenting in Germany before and after 2002: What Role Did the Professors' Privilege Play?,"
Industry and Innovation,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(1), pages 23-44, January.
- Sidonia von Ledebur & Guido Buenstorf & Martin Hummel, 2009. "University Patenting in Germany before and after 2002: What Role Did the Professors' Privilege Play?," Jena Economic Research Papers 2009-068, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Donald S. Siegel & Reinhilde Veugelers & Mike Wright, 2007. "Technology transfer offices and commercialization of university intellectual property: performance and policy implications," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(4), pages 640-660, Winter.
- Francesco Lissoni & Patrick Llerena & Maureen McKelvey & Bulat Sanditov, 2008.
"Academic Patenting in Europe: New Evidence from the KEINS Database,"
Working Papers of BETA
2008-16, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Francesco Lissoni & Patrick Llerena & Maureen McKelvey & Bulat Sanditov, 2008. "Academic patenting in Europe: new evidence from the KEINS database," Research Evaluation, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(2), pages 87-102, June.
- Francesco Lissoni & Patrick Llerena & Maureen McKelvey & Bulat Sanditov, 2007. "Academic Patenting in Europe: New Evidence from the KEINS Database," KITeS Working Papers 202, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jun 2007.
- Joaquín Azagra-Caro & Nicolas Carayol & Patrick Llerena, 2006. "Patent Production at a European Research University: Exploratory Evidence at the Laboratory Level," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 257-268, 03.
- Martin Meyer & Puay Tang, 2006. "Exploring the "Value" of Academic Patents: IP Management Practices in UK Universities and their Implications for Third-Stream Indicators," SPRU Working Paper Series 143, SPRU - Science and Technology Policy Research, University of Sussex.
- Francesco Lissoni & Peter Lotz & Jens Schovsbo & Adele Treccani, 2009. "Academic patenting and the professor's privilege: evidence on Denmark from the KEINS database," Science and Public Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(8), pages 595-607, October.
- Gustavo Crespi & Aldo Geuna & Bart Verspagen, 2007.
"University IPRs and Knowledge Transfer. Is the IPR ownership model more efficient?,"
SPRU Working Paper Series
154, SPRU - Science and Technology Policy Research, University of Sussex.
- Gustavo A. Crespi & Aldo Geuna & Bart Verspagen, 2007. "University IPRs and Knowledge Transfer. Is the IPR ownership model more efficient?," ICER Working Papers 02-2007, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Czarnitzki, Dirk & Hussinger, Katrin & Schneider, Cedric, 2008.
"Commercializing Academic Research: The Qaulity of Faculty Patenting,"
05-2008, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics.
- Dirk Czarnitzki & Katrin Hussinger & Cédric Schneider, 2011. "Commercializing academic research: the quality of faculty patenting," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(5), pages 1403-1437, October.
- Schneider, Cédric & Hussinger, Katrin & Czarnitzki, Dirk, 2008. "Commercializing Academic Research: The Quality of Faculty Patenting," ZEW Discussion Papers 08-069, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Geuna, Aldo & Nesta, Lionel J.J., 2006. "University patenting and its effects on academic research: The emerging European evidence," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 790-807, July.
- Antonio Della Malva & Francesco Lissoni & Maria Patrick Llerena, 2010.
"Institutional Change and Academic Patenting: French Universities and the Innovation Act of the 1999,"
KITeS Working Papers
029, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jan 2010.
- Antonio Della Malva & Francesco Lissoni & Patrick Llerena, 2008. "Institutional Change and Academic Patenting: French Universities and the Innovation Act of the 1999," Working Papers of BETA 2008-09, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Argyres, Nicholas S. & Liebeskind, Julia Porter, 1998. "Privatizing the intellectual commons: Universities and the commercialization of biotechnology," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 427-454, May.
- Bodas Freitas, Isabel Maria & Geuna, Aldo & Rossi, Federica, 2013. "Finding the right partners: Institutional and personal modes of governance of university–industry interactions," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 50-62.
- Sterzi, Valerio, 2013. "Patent quality and ownership: An analysis of UK faculty patenting," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 564-576.
- Tischler, Joachim & Walter, Sascha, 2014. "Das Patentierverhalten akademischer Gründer nach Abschaffung des Hochschullehrerprivilegs," EconStor Preprints 96157, ZBW - German National Library of Economics.
- Friedrich Dornbusch & Thomas Brenner, 2013. "Universities as local knowledge hubs under different technology regimes â€“ New evidence from academic patenting," Working Papers on Innovation and Space 2013-10, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Wipo, 2011. "World Intellectual Property Report 2011- The Changing Face of Innovation," WIPO Economics & Statistics Series, World Intellectual Property Organization - Economics and Statistics Division, number 2011:944, April.
- Pluvia Zuniga, 2011. "The State of Patenting at Research Institutions in Developing Countries: Policy Approaches and Practices," WIPO Economic Research Working Papers 04, World Intellectual Property Organization - Economics and Statistics Division, revised Dec 2011.
- Jacobsson, Staffan & Lindholm-Dahlstrand, Åsa & Elg, Lennart, 2013. "Is the commercialization of European academic R&D weak?—A critical assessment of a dominant belief and associated policy responses," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 874-885.
- Francesco LISSONI (GREThA, CNRS, UMR 5113) & Michele PEZZONI (KITeS, University of Bocconi) & Bianca POTI (CERIS-CNR) & Sandra ROMAGNOSI (Parco Scientifico Università \"Tor Vergata\"), 2012. "University autonomy, IP legislation and academic patenting: Italy, 1996-2007," Cahiers du GREThA 2012-26, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Pojo, Sabrina Da Rosa & Vidal, Valéria Schneider & Zen, Aurora Carneiro & Barros, Henrique M., 2013. "Management of Intellectual Property in Brazilian Universities: a Multiple Case Study," Insper Working Papers wpe_330, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Acosta, Manuel & Coronado, Daniel & Martínez, M. Ángeles, 2012. "Spatial differences in the quality of university patenting: Do regions matter?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 692-703.
- Sterzi, Valerio, 2011.
"Academic patent value and knowledge transfer in the UK. Does patent ownership matter?,"
34955, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Valerio STERZI (GREThA, CNRS, UMR 5113 & KITES, Bocconi University), 2012. "Academic patent value and knowledge transfer in the UK: Does patent ownership matter?," Cahiers du GREThA 2012-07, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- repec:wip:wpaper:4 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.