Innovation capacity and innovation development in small enterprises. A comparison between the manufacturing and service sectors
AbstractThis paper explores what kinds of innovations have been developed in small manufacturing and service enterprises and what has been the degree of innovation capacity that small enterprises possess. In addition, it compares what differences there are across the manufacturing and service sectors. The empirical evidence is based on quantitative data gathered through an email questionnaire which yielded 708 qualified responses from the representatives of Finnish small enterprises with fewer than 50 employees. The analysis is based on descriptive statistics and non-parametric tests. The evidence displays a rich diversity of innovation patterns in small enterprises. The empirical evidence demonstrates only slight differences between the manufacturing and service industries while it indicates significant differences across the sectors within these industries. The value of the present study lies in the better understanding of innovation development in small enterprises. The rich diversity of innovation patterns in small enterprises suggests that diversity should also direct the policies aiming at supporting innovation development in the context of small business. Finally, applying these results will provide more specific questions for studying the nature of innovation development in small enterprises.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Research Policy.
Volume (Year): 40 (2011)
Issue (Month): 5 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/respol
Capacity Innovation Manufacturing Services Small enterprises;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- de Jong, Jeroen P.J. & Marsili, Orietta, 2006. "The fruit flies of innovations: A taxonomy of innovative small firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 213-229, March.
- Pavitt, Keith, 1984. "Sectoral patterns of technical change: Towards a taxonomy and a theory," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 343-373, December.
- Heidenreich, Martin, 2009. "Innovation patterns and location of European low- and medium-technology industries," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 483-494, April.
- Nieto, María Jesús & Santamaría, Lluís, 2010. "Technological collaboration : bridging the innovation gap between small and large firms," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/12695, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Branzei, Oana & Vertinsky, Ilan, 2006. "Strategic pathways to product innovation capabilities in SMEs," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 75-105, January.
- Fariborz Damanpour, 2001. "The Dynamics of the Adoption of Product and Process Innovations in Organizations," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(1), pages 45-65, 01.
- Marjolein Caniëls & Henny Romijn, 2003. "SME Clusters, Acquisition of Technological Capabilities and Development: Concepts, Practice and Policy Lessons," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 187-210, September.
- Aija Leiponen, 2005. "Organization of Knowledge and Innovation: The Case of Finnish Business Services," Industry & Innovation, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 12(2), pages 185-203.
- Daniele Archibugi, 2001. "Pavitt'S Taxonomy Sixteen Years On: A Review Article," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(5), pages 415-425.
- Hartmut Hirsch-Kreinsen, 2008. "“Low-Tech” Innovations," Industry & Innovation, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 15(1), pages 19-43.
- Miozzo, Marcela & Soete, Luc, 2001. "Internationalization of services: a technological perspective," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-6255, Maastricht University.
- Rinaldo Evangelista, 2000. "Sectoral Patterns Of Technological Change In Services," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 183-222.
- Robert D. Dewar & Jane E. Dutton, 1986. "The Adoption of Radical and Incremental Innovations: An Empirical Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(11), pages 1422-1433, November.
- Fariborz Damanpour & Richard M. Walker & Claudia N. Avellaneda, 2009. "Combinative Effects of Innovation Types and Organizational Performance: A Longitudinal Study of Service Organizations," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(4), pages 650-675, 06.
- Helena Forsman, 2009. "Improving Innovation Capabilities Of Small Enterprises: Cluster Strategy As A Tool," International Journal of Innovation Management (ijim), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 13(02), pages 221-243.
- Keith W. Glaister, 1996. "Strategic Motives For International Alliance Formation," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(3), pages 301-332, 05.
- Mohammad Movahedi & Olivier Gaussens, 2013. "Les effets de l’exportation sur l’innovation et la productivité : Analyse empirique sur un échantillon de PMI," Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen) 201307, Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS.
- Natália Barbosa & Ana Paula Faria & Vasco Eiriz, 2013. "Industry - and firm-specific factors of innovation novelty," NIPE Working Papers 10/2013, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Fernandes, Cristina & Ferreira, João & Raposo, Mario, 2013. "Drivers to firm innovation and their effects on performance: An international comparison," MPRA Paper 46776, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Herimalala, Rahobisoa & Gaussens, Olivier, 2012. "X-Efficiency of Innovation Processes: Concept and Evaluation based on Data Envelopment Analysis," MPRA Paper 41887, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Shahid Yusuf, 2012. "From Technological Catch-up to Innovation : The Future of China’s GDP Growth," World Bank Other Operational Studies 12781, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.