Development and restructuring of Turkey's electricity sector: a review
AbstractWith a young and growing population, low per capita electricity consumption and rapid urbanization, Turkey for nearly two decades has been one of the fastest growing power markets in the world. The main objective of the present study is to review many aspects of the Turkish electricity sector, including its historical development, energy related emissions, and energy and exergy utilization efficiencies. With the foundation of the Republic in 1923, Turkey's electricity sector has grown rapidly from 32.8Â MW to 26.1Â GW at the beginning of 2000. During this period, different governments implemented various strategies and policies for the Turkish electricity industry. In the 1980s, a new era for the industry and regulations started, allowing the installation of electricity power plants. Regulations allowed different investment models and the decision was taken highly to attract foreign investors. Restructuring of the electricity sector in Turkey has started with the establishment of the Energy Market Regulatory Authority (EMRA) upon law No. 4628 which came into force on 3 March 2001. The Energy Market Regulatory Board, which runs the EMRA, was commissioned on November 19, 2001. In May 2002, the EMRA issued drafts of the Energy Market Licensing Regulation and the Electricity Market Tariffs Regulation, and these regulations went into effect in August 2002. The Electricity Market Implementation Manual was issued by the EMRA in April 2003. At present, not only the electricity sector, but also the whole Turkish energy sector is in a dynamic change.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews.
Volume (Year): 9 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Balat, Havva, 2008. "Contribution of green energy sources to electrical power production of Turkey: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(6), pages 1652-1666, August.
- Balat, Mustafa, 2008. "Energy consumption and economic growth in Turkey during the past two decades," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 118-127, January.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2007.
"Regulatory Reform in Turkish Energy Industry: An analysis,"
19100, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2007. "Regulatory reform in Turkish energy industry: An analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 984-993, February.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2005. "Energy market reforms in Turkey: An economic analysis," MPRA Paper 26929, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bagdadioglu, Necmiddin & Odyakmaz, Necmi, 2009. "Turkish electricity reform," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 144-152, March.
- Ali Akkemik, K., 2009. "Cost function estimates, scale economies and technological progress in the Turkish electricity generation sector," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 204-213, January.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2007.
"Nuclear power in open energy markets: A case study of Turkey,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 3061-3073, May.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2007. "Nuclear Power in Open Energy Markets: A case study of Turkey," MPRA Paper 19098, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bahçe, Serdal & Taymaz, Erol, 2008. "The impact of electricity market liberalization in Turkey: "Free consumer" and distributional monopoly cases," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1603-1624, July.
- Sozen, Adnan & Arcaklioglu, Erol, 2007. "Prediction of net energy consumption based on economic indicators (GNP and GDP) in Turkey," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 4981-4992, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.