On energy for sustainable development in Nigeria
AbstractThe fuel driving the engine of growth and sustainable development of any nation is the nation's access to reliable and adequate energy. Access to energy is a crucial enabling condition for achieving sustainable development. Prudent energy policies and research can play an important role in steering both industrialized and developing countries onto more sustainable energy development paths. Specifically, they can strengthen the three pillars of sustainable development: the economy, by boosting productivity; social welfare, by improving living standards and enhancing safety and security; and the environment, by reducing indoor and outdoor pollution and remediating environmental degradation. Many factors that need to be considered and appropriately addressed in moving towards energy sustainability in Nigeria are examined in this article. These include full exploitation and promotion of renewable energy resources and application of energy conservation measures in various sectors such as manufacturing industrial set-up, office and residential buildings and transportation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews.
Volume (Year): 16 (2012)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kalu Uduma & Tomasz Arciszewski, 2010. "Sustainable Energy Development: The Key to a Stable Nigeria," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 2(6), pages 1558-1570, June.
- Marc A. Rosen, 2009. "Energy Sustainability: A Pragmatic Approach and Illustrations," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 1(1), pages 55-80, March.
- World Commission on Environment and Development,, 1987. "Our Common Future," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780192820808, September.
- Manso, José Ramos Pires & Behmiri, Niaz Bashiri, 2013. "Renewable Energy and Sustainable Development/Energía renovable y Desarrollo Sostenible," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 31, pages 7-34, Enero.
- Al-Hadhrami, L.M., 2013. "Comprehensive review of cooling and heating degree days characteristics over Kingdom of Saudi Arabia," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 305-314.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.