A robust LM test for spatial error components
AbstractThis paper presents a modified LM test of spatial error components, which is shown to be robust against distributional misspecifications and spatial layouts. The proposed test differs from the LM test of Anselin (2001) by a term in the denominators of the test statistics. This term disappears when either the errors are normal, or the variance of the diagonal elements of the product of spatial weights matrix and its transpose is zero or approaches to zero as sample size goes large. When neither is true, as is often the case in practice, the effect of this term can be significant even when sample size is large. As a result, there can be severe size distortions of the Anselin's LM test, a phenomenon revealed by the Monte Carlo results of Anselin and Moreno (2003) and further confirmed by the Monte Carlo results presented in this paper. Our Monte Carlo results also show that the proposed test performs well in general.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Regional Science and Urban Economics.
Volume (Year): 40 (2010)
Issue (Month): 5 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/regec
Distributional misspecifications Robustness Spatial layouts Spatial error components LM tests;
Other versions of this item:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anselin, Luc & Moreno, Rosina, 2003.
"Properties of tests for spatial error components,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 595-618, September.
- Bera, Anil K. & Sosa-Escudero, Walter & Yoon, Mann, 2001.
"Tests for the error component model in the presence of local misspecification,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 1-23, March.
- Anil K. Bera & Walter Sosa Escudero & Mann Yoon, 2000. "Tests for the Error Component Model in the Presence of Local Misspecification," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1888, Econometric Society.
- Anil Bera & Walter Sosa Escudero & Mann Yoon, 2000. "Test for the Error Component Model in the Presence of Local Misspecification," Department of Economics, Working Papers 022, Departamento de Economía, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Bera, Anil K. & Yoon, Mann J., 1993. "Specification Testing with Locally Misspecified Alternatives," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(04), pages 649-658, August.
- Lung-Fei Lee, 2004. "Asymptotic Distributions of Quasi-Maximum Likelihood Estimators for Spatial Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(6), pages 1899-1925, November.
- Koenker, Roger, 1981. "A note on studentizing a test for heteroscedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 107-112, September.
- Lee, Lung-fei, 2007. "Identification and estimation of econometric models with group interactions, contextual factors and fixed effects," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 333-374, October.
- H. Kelejian, Harry & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2001. "On the asymptotic distribution of the Moran I test statistic with applications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 219-257, September.
- Kelejian, Harry H & Prucha, Ingmar R, 1999. "A Generalized Moments Estimator for the Autoregressive Parameter in a Spatial Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(2), pages 509-33, May.
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 2002. "Consistency And Efficiency Of Least Squares Estimation For Mixed Regressive, Spatial Autoregressive Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(02), pages 252-277, April.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2013.
"A Generalized Spatial Panel Data Model with Random Effects,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(5-6), pages 650-685, August.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Peter Egger & Michael Pfafermayr, 2009. "A Generalized Spatial Panel Data Model with Random Effects," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 113, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2012. "A Generalized Spatial Panel Data Model with Random Effects," CESifo Working Paper Series 3930, CESifo Group Munich.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Yang, Zhenlin, 2013.
"Heteroskedasticity and non-normality robust LM tests for spatial dependence,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(5), pages 725-739.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Zhenlin Yang, 2013. "Heteroskedasticity and Non-normality Robust LM Tests for Spatial Dependence," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 156, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Zhenlin Yang, 2012.
"Standardized LM Tests for Spatial Error Dependence in Linear or Panel Regressions,"
Center for Policy Research Working Papers
142, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Zhenlin Yang, 2013. "Standardized LM tests for spatial error dependence in linear or panel regressions," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 16(1), pages 103-134, 02.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Zhenlin Yang, 2010. "Standardized LM Tests for Spatial Error Dependence in Linear or Panel Regressions," Working Papers 11-2010, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Zhenlin Yang, 2013. "LM Tests of Spatial Dependence Based on Bootstrap Critical Values," Working Papers 03-2013, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.