Tests for the error component model in the presence of local misspecification
AbstractIt is well known that most of the standard speciÂ¯cation tests are not valid when the alternative hypothesis is misspeciÂ¯ed. This is particularly true in the error component model, when one tests for either random eÂ®ects or serial correlation without taking account of the presence of the other eÂ®ect. In this paper we study the size and power of the standard Rao's score tests analytically and by simulation when the data is contaminated by local misspeciÂ¯cation. These tests are adversely aÂ®ected under misspeciÂ¯cation. We suggest simple procedures to test for random eÂ®ects (or serial correlation) in the presence of local serial correlation (or random eÂ®ects), and these tests require ordinary least squares residuals only. Our Monte Carlo results demonstrate that the suggested tests have good Â¯nite sample properties for local misspeciÂ¯cation, and in some cases even for far distant misspeciÂ¯cation. Our tests are also capable of detecting the right direction of the departure from the null hypothesis. We also provide some empirical illustrations to highlight the usefulness of our tests.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 101 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jeconom
Other versions of this item:
- Anil K. Bera & Walter Sosa Escudero & Mann Yoon, 2000. "Tests for the Error Component Model in the Presence of Local Misspecification," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1888, Econometric Society.
- Anil Bera & Walter Sosa Escudero & Mann Yoon, 2000. "Test for the Error Component Model in the Presence of Local Misspecification," Department of Economics, Working Papers 022, Departamento de Economía, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1984.
"Implicit Alternatives and the Local Power of Test Statistics,"
556, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G, 1987. "Implicit Alternatives and the Local Power of Test Statistics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(6), pages 1305-29, November.
- Davidson , R. & Mackinnon, J.G., 1985. "Implicit alternatives and the local power of test statistics," CORE Discussion Papers 1985025, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Saikkonen, Pentti, 1989. "Asymptotic relative efficiency of the classical test statistics under misspecification," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 351-369, November.
- Bera, Anil K. & Yoon, Mann J., 1993. "Specification Testing with Locally Misspecified Alternatives," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(04), pages 649-658, August.
- Lillard, Lee A & Willis, Robert J, 1978.
"Dynamic Aspects of Earning Mobility,"
Econometric Society, vol. 46(5), pages 985-1012, September.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Li, Qi, 1995. "Testing AR(1) against MA(1) disturbances in an error component model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 133-151, July.
- Breusch, T S & Pagan, A R, 1980.
"The Lagrange Multiplier Test and Its Applications to Model Specification in Econometrics,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 239-53, January.
- Breusch, T.S. & Pagan, A.R., . "The Lagrange multiplier test and its applications to model specification in econometrics," CORE Discussion Papers RP -412, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bera, Anil K. & Jarque, Carlos M., 1982. "Model specification tests : A simultaneous approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 59-82, October.
- Anderson, T. W. & Hsiao, Cheng, 1982. "Formulation and estimation of dynamic models using panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 47-82, January.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Chang, Young-Jae & Li, Qi, 1992. "Monte Carlo results on several new and existing tests for the error component model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 95-120.
- Hillier, Grant H., 1991. "On multiple diagnostic procedures for the linear model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 47-66, January.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Li, Qi, 1991. "A joint test for serial correlation and random individual effects," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 277-280, March.
- Marc Nerlove, 1968.
"Further Evidence on the Estimation of Dynamic Economic Relations from a Time Series of Cross-Sections,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
257, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Nerlove, Marc, 1971. "Further Evidence on the Estimation of Dynamic Economic Relations from a Time Series of Cross Sections," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(2), pages 359-82, March.
- Kleiber, Christian & Zeileis, Achim, 2010.
"The Grunfeld Data at 50,"
20841, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Jung, Byoung Cheol & Song, Seuck Heun, 2010.
"Testing for heteroskedasticity and serial correlation in a random effects panel data model,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 122-124, February.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Byoung Cheol Jung & Seuck Heun Song, 2008. "Testing for Heteroskedasticity and Serial Correlation in a Random Effects Panel Data Model," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 111, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Walter Sosa Escudero & Federico Zincenko, 2008. "Tests for Dynamic Effects in Linear Panel Data Models," Working Papers 95, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Feb 2008.
- Zhenlin Yang, 2009.
"A Robust LM Test for Spatial Error Components,"
04-2009, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Walter Sosa Escudero & Anil K. Bera & Gabriel Montes Rojas, 2009.
"Testing Under Local Misspecification and Artificial Regressions,"
97, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Oct 2009.
- Bera, Anil K. & Montes-Rojas, Gabriel & Sosa-Escudero, Walter, 2009. "Testing under local misspecification and artificial regressions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 66-68, August.
- Yves Croissant & Giovanni Millo, . "Panel Data Econometrics in R: The plm Package," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 27(i02).
- Walter Sosa Escudero, 2007. "Testing for Persistence in the Error Component Model:A One-Sided Approach," Working Papers 94, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Feb 2007.
- Walter Sosa-Escudero & Mariana Marchionni & Omar Arias, 2006.
"Sources of Income Persistence: Evidence from Rural El Salvador,"
CEDLAS, Working Papers
0037, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Walter Sosa-Escudero & Mariana Marchionni & Omar Arias, 2011. "Sources of Income Persistence: Evidence from Rural El Salvador," Journal of Income Distribution, Journal of Income Distribution, vol. 20(1), pages 3-28, March.
- Martí Ballester, Carmen Pilar, 2013. "Determinants of equity pension plan flows," Economics Discussion Papers 2013-15, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Giovanni Millo & Gaetano Carmeci, 2011. "Non-life insurance consumption in Italy: a sub-regional panel data analysis," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 273-298, September.
- Li, Yushu & Andersson, Fredrik N. G., 2013. "A Simple Wavelet-Based Test for Serial Correlation in Panel Data Models," Working Papers 2013:39, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Walter Sosa Escudero & Anil K. Bera, 2008. "Tests for Unbalanced Error Component Models Under Local Misspecication," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0065, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Dhehibi, Boubaker & Gil, Jose Maria & Angulo, Ana Maria, 2003. "Nutrient Effects On Consumer Demand: A Panel Data Approach," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25881, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Pedro Elosegui & Paula Español & Demian Panigo & Juan Sotes Paladino, 2006. "Methodological Alternatives for the Analysis of Financial Constraints in Argentina," BCRA Working Paper Series 200602, Central Bank of Argentina, Economic Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.