Housing wealth and aggregate saving
AbstractThe recent appreciation in housing value can have large effects on aggregate saving. This paper uses a simulation model to show that aggregate saving will decline substantially if life cycle homeowners spend down their housing windfalls. Homeowners with a bequest motive, however, may save more to assist their children in buying the now more expensive housing. To test whether families spend their housing capital gains, I use housing, income, and consumption data from the Panel Study of Income Dynamics. While a cross-section time-series regression implies that housing wealth does affect saving, a fixed-effects model finds no effect.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Regional Science and Urban Economics.
Volume (Year): 19 (1989)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/regec
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Poterba, James M, 1984.
"Tax Subsidies to Owner-occupied Housing: An Asset-Market Approach,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 99(4), pages 729-52, November.
- James M. Poterba, 1983. "Tax Subsidies to Owner-occupied Housing: An Asset Market Approach," Working papers 339, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Jonathan Eaton, 1987.
"A Dynamic Specific-Factors Model of International Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
1479, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eaton, Jonathan, 1987. "A Dynamic Specific-Factors Model of International Trade," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(2), pages 325-38, April.
- Feldstein, Martin S, 1977. "The Surprising Incidence of a Tax on Pure Rent: A New Answer to an Old Question," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(2), pages 349-60, April.
- Feldstein, Martin S, 1978.
"The Welfare Cost of Capital Income Taxation,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(2), pages S29-51, April.
- Henderson, J. Vernon & Ioannides, Yannis M., 1989. "Dynamic aspects of consumer decisions in housing markets," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 212-230, September.
- Mankiw, N. Gregory & Weil, David N., 1989.
"The baby boom, the baby bust, and the housing market,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 235-258, May.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David N. Weil, 1988. "The Baby Boom, The Baby Bust, and the Housing Market," NBER Working Papers 2794, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Calvo, Guillermo A & Kotlikoff, Laurence J & Rodriguez, Carlos Alfredo, 1979.
"The Incidence of a Tax on Pure Rent: A New (?) Reason for an Old Answer,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(4), pages 869-74, August.
- Guillermo A. Galvo & Laurence J. Kotlikoff & Carlos Alfredo Rodriguez, 1978. "The Incidence of a Tax on Pure Rent: A New Reason for an Old Answer," UCLA Economics Working Papers 125, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Rosen, Harvey S., 1985.
"Housing subsidies: Effects on housing decisions, efficiency, and equity,"
Handbook of Public Economics,
in: A. J. Auerbach & M. Feldstein (ed.), Handbook of Public Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 7, pages 375-420
- Harvey S. Rosen, 1983. "Housing Subsidies: Effects on Housing Decisions, Efficiency, and Equity," NBER Working Papers 1161, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stover, Mark Edward, 1986. "The price elasticity of the supply of single-family detached urban housing," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 331-340, November.
- Roger H. Gordon & James R. Hines Jr. & Lawrence H. Summers, 1986.
"Notes on the Tax Treatment of Structures,"
NBER Working Papers
1896, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eaton, Jonathan, 1988.
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(1), pages 76-88, March.
- Karl E. Case, 1986. "The market for single-family homes in the Boston area," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue May, pages 38-48.
- Skinner, Jonathan, 1987. "A superior measure of consumption from the panel study of income dynamics," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 213-216.
- Steven F. Venti & David A. Wise, 1989.
"Aging, Moving, and Housing Wealth,"
in: The Economics of Aging, pages 9-54
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Topel, Robert H & Rosen, Sherwin, 1988. "Housing Investment in the United States," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(4), pages 718-40, August.
- Lipton, David, et al, 1982. "Multiple Shooting in Rational Expectations Models [The Solution of Linear Difference Models under Rational Expectations]," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(5), pages 1329-33, September.
- Chamley, Christophe & Wright, Brian D., 1987. "Fiscal incidence in an overlapping generations model with a fixed asset," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 3-24, February.
- Drazen, Allan & Eckstein, Zvi, 1988. "On the Organization of Rural Markets and the Process of Economic Development," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 431-43, June.
- Bhatia, Kul B, 1987. "Real Estate Assets and Consumer Spending," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 102(2), pages 437-44, May.
- Patric H. Hendershott & Joel Slemrod, 1982.
"Taxes and the User Cost of Capital for Owner-Occupied Housing,"
Real Estate Economics,
American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 10(4), pages 375-393.
- Patric H. Hendershott & Joel Slemrod, 1982. "Taxes and the User Cost of Capital for Owner-Occupied Housing," NBER Working Papers 0929, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.