Optimal inventory policies when sales are discretionary
AbstractInventory models customarily assume that demand is fully satisfied if sufficient stock is available. We analyze the form of the optimal inventory policy if the inventory manager can choose to meet a fraction of the demand. Under classical conditions we show that the optimal policy is again of the (S,s) form. The analysis makes use of a novel property of K-concave functions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Production Economics.
Volume (Year): 93-94 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe
Other versions of this item:
- Herbert E. Scarf, 2000. "Optimal Inventory Policies When Sales Are Discretionary," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1270, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George Hall & John Rust, 2007. "The (S,s) Policy is an Optimal Trading Strategy in a Class of Commodity Price Speculation Problems," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 515-538, March.
- Mart, Turgut & Duran, Serhan & Bakal, İsmail Serdar, 2013. "Tactical inventory and backorder decisions for systems with predictable production yield," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 143(2), pages 294-303.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.