Discrete-order admission ATP model with joint effect of margin and order size in a MTO environment
AbstractSwarming demands and seasonality periodically induce a stringent capacity problem in the made-to-order (MTO) B2B environment. Desirable order admission is a tactic with minimal application cost for handling this problem. A real-time order admission problem with limited major-customer population and batch-size demand with heterogeneous distributions is modeled as a dynamic and stochastic knapsack problem. The optimality of the Markovian deterministic reward-threshold policy is verified. Optimal policy, basic policy, and the capacity rationing method are compared in the designed experiment. The numerical results suggest great potential for increasing profit using the optimal order admission policy for MTO businesses.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Production Economics.
Volume (Year): 133 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe
Revenue management Demand/capacity management Markovian decision process;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pibernik, Richard, 2005. "Advanced available-to-promise: Classification, selected methods and requirements for operations and inventory management," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 239-252, January.
- Sridharan, Sri V., 1998. "Managing capacity in tightly constrained systems," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 601-610, September.
- Gregory A. DeCroix & Antonio Arreola-Risa, 1998. "Optimal Production and Inventory Policy for Multiple Products Under Resource Constraints," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(7), pages 950-961, July.
- Bodily, S. E. & Weatherford, L. R., 1995. "Perishable-asset revenue management: Generic and multiple-price yield management with diversion," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 173-185, April.
- Kalyan Talluri & Garrett van Ryzin, 1998. "An Analysis of Bid-Price Controls for Network Revenue Management," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(11-Part-1), pages 1577-1593, November.
- Jason D. Papastavrou & Srikanth Rajagopalan & Anton J. Kleywegt, 1996. "The Dynamic and Stochastic Knapsack Problem with Deadlines," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(12), pages 1706-1718, December.
- Arreola-Risa, Antonio, 1996. "Integrated multi-item production-inventory systems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 89(2), pages 326-340, March.
- Balakrishnan, Nagraj & Patterson, J. Wayne & Sridharan, V., 1999. "Robustness of capacity rationing policies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 328-338, June.
- Barut, M. & Sridharan, V, 2004. "Design and evaluation of a dynamic capacity apportionment procedure," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 155(1), pages 112-133, May.
- Garrett van Ryzin & Jeff McGill, 2000. "Revenue Management Without Forecasting or Optimization: An Adaptive Algorithm for Determining Airline Seat Protection Levels," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(6), pages 760-775, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.