Revenue Management and E-Commerce
AbstractWe trace the history of revenue management in an effort to illustrate a successful e--commerce model of dynamic, automated sales. Our discourse begins with a brief overview of electronic distribution as practiced in the airline industry, emphasizing the fundamental role of central reservation and revenue management systems. Methods for controlling the sale of inventory are then introduced along with related techniques for optimization and forecasting. Research contributions and areas of significant research potential are given special attention. We conclude by looking at how revenue management is practiced outside of the airline industry, its relationship to dynamic pricing, and future directions for the discipline.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 49 (2003)
Issue (Month): 10 (October)
Revenue Management; e--Commerce; Airline Industry;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Agatz, N.A.H. & Campbell, A. & Fleischmann, M. & van Nunen, J.A.E.E. & Savelsbergh, M.W.P., 2008. "Demand Management Opportunities in E-fulfillment: What Internet Retailers Can Learn from Revenue Management," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2008-021-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Max Gerlach & Catherine Cleophas & Natalia Kliewer, 2013. "Airline Codeshare Alliances," Business & Information Systems Engineering, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 153-163, June.
- Li, Xueping & Wang, Jiao & Sawhney, Rapinder, 2012. "Reinforcement learning for joint pricing, lead-time and scheduling decisions in make-to-order systems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 221(1), pages 99-109.
- Gillen, David & Gados, Alicja, 2008. "Airlines within airlines: Assessing the vulnerabilities of mixing business models," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 25-35.
- Haerian, Laila & Homem-de-Mello, Tito & Mount-Campbell, Clark A., 2006. "Modeling revenue yield of reservation systems that use nested capacity protection strategies," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 340-353, December.
- Fleischmann, M. & Hall, J.M. & Pyke, D.F., 2003. "Smart Pricing: Linking Pricing Decisions with Operational Insights," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2004-001-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Fleischmann, M. & Hall, J.M. & Pyke, D.F., 2005. "A Dynamic Pricing Model for Coordinated Sales and Operations," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2005-074-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.