Revenue Management Without Forecasting or Optimization: An Adaptive Algorithm for Determining Airline Seat Protection Levels
AbstractWe investigate a simple adaptive approach to optimizing seat protection levels in airline revenue management systems. The approach uses only historical observations of the relative frequencies of certain seat-filling events to guide direct adjustments of the seat protection levels in accordance with the optimality conditions of Brumelle and McGill (1993). Stochastic approximation theory is used to prove the convergence of this adaptive algorithm to the optimal protection levels. In a simulation study, we compare the revenue performance of this adaptive approach to a more traditional method that combines a censored forecasting method with a common seat allocation heuristic (EMSR-b).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 46 (2000)
Issue (Month): 6 (June)
yield management; revenue management; airlines; forecasting; optimization; fare class allocation; distribution free; adaptive algorithms; stochastic approximation;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Becher, Michael, 2009. "Simultaneous capacity and price control based on fuzzy controllers," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 121(2), pages 365-382, October.
- Pak, K. & Piersma, N., 2002. "Airline revenue management: an overview of OR techniques 1982-2001," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2002-03, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Chiang, David Ming-Huang & Wu, Andy Wei-Di, 2011. "Discrete-order admission ATP model with joint effect of margin and order size in a MTO environment," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 761-775, October.
- Pak, K. & Piersma, N., 2002. "airline revenue management," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2002-12-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Hung, Yi-Feng & Chen, Chien-Hao, 2013. "An effective dynamic decision policy for the revenue management of an airline flight," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 144(2), pages 440-450.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.