An objective-oriented and product-line-based manufacturing performance measurement
AbstractPerformance-measurement systems (PMSs) that are based on traditional cost-accounting systems do not capture the relevant performance issues for today's manufacturing environment. A variety of integrated systems have been proposed to overcome the limitations of the traditional PMSs, but these systems have been inadequate. This paper presents an integrated dynamic performance measurement system (IDPMS) that integrates three main areas: company management, process improvement, and the factory shop floor. To achieve an integrated system, these three areas are linked through dynamically defined performance measures and performance standards from production planning to customer. The indicators are transformed into quantitative just-in-time parameters that are utilized with management by objectives (MBO) principles to develop a manufacturing PMS that satisfies both internal and external customers. An example is given that illustrates how the IDPMS addresses current PMS requirements.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Production Economics.
Volume (Year): 112 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abernethy, Margaret A. & Lillis, Anne M., 1995. "The impact of manufacturing flexibility on management control system design," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 241-258, May.
- Reiner, Gerald, 2005. "Customer-oriented improvement and evaluation of supply chain processes supported by simulation models," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(3), pages 381-395, June.
- Lillis, Anne M., 2002. "Managing multiple dimensions of manufacturing performance -- an exploratory study," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 497-529, August.
- Conduit, Jodie & Mavondo, Felix T., 2001. "How critical is internal customer orientation to market orientation?1," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 11-24, January.
- Suwignjo, P. & Bititci, U. S & Carrie, A. S, 2000. "Quantitative models for performance measurement system," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1-3), pages 231-241, March.
- Huff, Lenard & Kelley, Lane, 2005. "Is collectivism a liability? The impact of culture on organizational trust and customer orientation: a seven-nation study," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 96-102, January.
- Perera, S. & Harrison, G. & Poole, M., 1997. "Customer-focused manufacturing strategy and the use of operations-based non-financial performance measures: A research note," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 557-572, August.
- Ghalayini, Alaa M. & Noble, James S. & Crowe, Thomas J., 1997. "An integrated dynamic performance measurement system for improving manufacturing competitiveness," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 207-225, February.
- Matsuo, Makoto, 2006. "Customer orientation, conflict, and innovativeness in Japanese sales departments," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 242-250, February.
- Braz, Renata Gomes Frutuoso & Scavarda, Luiz Felipe & Martins, Roberto Antonio, 2011. "Reviewing and improving performance measurement systems: An action research," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 751-760, October.
- Saghaei, Abbas & Najafi, Hoorieh & Noorossana, Rassoul, 2012. "Enhanced Rolled Throughput Yield: A new six sigma-based performance measure," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 368-373.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.