The short-run underpricing of initial public offerings in the Sri Lankan stock market
AbstractThis study investigates underpricing of IPOs in Sri Lanka. On average, IPOs are underpriced by 34%. Small issues are more underpriced than large issues, and privatization issues are more underpriced than conventional issues. Investor sentiment is positively related with underpricing and affects small and large issues similarly. Small privatization issues are more underpriced than large privatization issues and partially explain the asymmetry in underpricing between small and large issues. However, even after controlling for investor sentiment, privatization, hot-market conditions, underwriter-size, and industry, small issues remain more underpriced than large issues. The results strongly support the uncertainty hypothesis for larger underpricing of small issues, and privatization issues.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multinational Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 20 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4-5 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/mulfin
IPOs Underpricing Uncertainty hypothesis Investor sentiment Privatization;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lyn, Esmeralda O. & Zychowicz, Edward J., 2003. "The performance of new equity offerings in Hungary and Poland," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 181-195, July.
- Kiymaz, Halil, 2000. "The initial and aftermarket performance of IPOs in an emerging market: evidence from Istanbul stock exchange," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 213-227, June.
- Loughran, Tim & Ritter, Jay R. & Rydqvist, Kristian, 1995.
"Initial public offerings: International insights,"
Pacific-Basin Finance Journal,
Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 139-140, May.
- Randolph P. Beatty & Jay R. Ritter, .
"Investment Banking, Reputation and the Underpricing of Initial Public Offerings,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
02-85, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Beatty, Randolph P. & Ritter, Jay R., 1986. "Investment banking, reputation, and the underpricing of initial public offerings," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 213-232.
- Randolph P. Beatty & Jay R. Ritter, . "Investment Banking, Reputation and the Underpricing of Initial Public Offerings," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 2-85, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Chahine, Salim, 2008. "Underpricing versus gross spread: New evidence on the effect of sold shares at the time of IPOs," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 180-196, April.
- Mazouz, Khelifa & Saadouni, Brahim & Yin, Shuxing, 2008. "The long-term performance of Hong Kong share-only and unit initial public offerings (IPOs)," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 209-228, July.
- Chen, Gongmeng & Firth, Michael & Kim, Jeong-Bon, 2004. "IPO underpricing in China's new stock markets," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 283-302, July.
- Perotti, Enrico C, 1995. "Credible Privatization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(4), pages 847-59, September.
- Mohammed Omran, 2005. "Underpricing And Long-Run Performance Of Share Issue Privatizations In The Egyptian Stock Market," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 28(2), pages 215-234.
- Reena Aggarwal & Ricardo Leal & Leonardo Hernandez, 1993. "The Aftermarket Performance of Initial Public Offerings in Latin America," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 22(1), Spring.
- Kunz, Roger M. & Aggarwal, Reena, 1994. "Why initial public offerings are underpriced: Evidence from Switzerland," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 705-723, September.
- Ljungqvist, Alexander P., 1997. "Pricing initial public offerings: Further evidence from Germany," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(7), pages 1309-1320, July.
- Agathee, Ushad Subadar & Sannassee, Raja Vinesh & Brooks, Chris, 2012. "The underpricing of IPOs on the Stock Exchange of Mauritius," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 281-303.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.