The long-term performance of Hong Kong share-only and unit initial public offerings (IPOs)
AbstractThis study examines the long-term price performance of share-only versus unit IPOs issued on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange during 1990-2002. Our main objective is to test the extent to which the agency cost and signaling models explain the reasons for unit IPOs issuance using the long-term price performance approach. The agency cost model suggests that firms include warrants in their offerings to bind managers to optimal investment decisions. Under this model, unit IPOs are expected to possess better quality projects and, therefore, generate higher long-term risk-adjusted returns than share-only IPOs. The signaling model expects unit IPOs to be riskier than share-only IPOs. To compensate investors for bearing the extra risk, unit IPOs should yield higher returns than share-only IPOs in the long run. Thus, the signaling model expects unit IPOs to outperform share-only IPOs at least before conducting appropriate risk adjustments. Our long-term price performance evidence rejects the predictions of both models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multinational Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 18 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/mulfin
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- How, Janice C Y & Howe, John S, 2001. "Warrants in Initial Public Offerings: Empirical Evidence," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74(3), pages 433-57, July.
- Eckbo, B Espen & Norli, Øyvind, 2005.
"Liquidity Risk, Leverage and Long-Run IPO Returns,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4832, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jacqueline L. Garner & Beverly B. Marshall, 2005. "Unit IPOs: What the Warrant Characteristics Reveal about the Issuing Firm," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(5), pages 1837-1858, September.
- Chemmanur, T.J. & Fulghieri, P., 1994.
"Why Include Warrants in New Equity Issues? A Theory of Unit IPOs,"
95-05, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Chemmanur, Thomas J. & Fulghieri, Paolo, 1997. "Why Include Warrants in New Equity Issues? A Theory of Unit IPOs," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 32(01), pages 1-24, March.
- Soku Byoun, 2004. "Stock Performance following Seasoned Stock-Warrant Unit Offerings," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(1), pages 75-100, January.
- Cheng, Yingmei, 2005. "Post-listing underperformance: Is it really bad to move trading locations?," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 97-120, December.
- Loughran, Tim & Ritter, Jay R., 2000. "Uniformly least powerful tests of market efficiency," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 361-389, March.
- Loughran, Tim & Ritter, Jay R, 1995. " The New Issues Puzzle," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(1), pages 23-51, March.
- Mitchell, Mark L & Stafford, Erik, 2000.
"Managerial Decisions and Long-Term Stock Price Performance,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 73(3), pages 287-329, July.
- Mark L. Mitchell & Erik Stafford, 1997. "Managerial Decisions and Long-Term Stock Price Performance," CRSP working papers 453, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1980. "Measuring security price performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 205-258, September.
- Schultz, Paul, 1993. "Unit initial public offerings *1: A form of staged financing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 199-229, October.
- Samarakoon, Lalith P., 2010. "The short-run underpricing of initial public offerings in the Sri Lankan stock market," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 20(4-5), pages 197-213, December.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.