Equilibrium storage with multiple commodities
AbstractThis paper introduces a multisector model of commodity markets with storage, where equilibrium is defined by profit maximization, arbitrage and market clearing conditions. We then solve for the decentralized equilibrium via a corresponding dynamic program. We also describe the dynamics of the model, establishing geometric ergodicity, a Law of Large Numbers and a Central Limit Theorem.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Mathematical Economics.
Volume (Year): 45 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1-2 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jmateco
Commodities Dynamic programming Stability;
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stachurski, J., 2001.
"Stochastic Optimal Growth with Unbounded Shock,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
777, The University of Melbourne.
- NG, Serena & RUGE-MURCIA, Francisco J., 1997.
"Explaining the Persistence of Commodity Prices,"
Cahiers de recherche
9709, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Manuel S. Santos & Jesus Vigo-Aguiar, 1998. "Analysis of a Numerical Dynamic Programming Algorithm Applied to Economic Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(2), pages 409-426, March.
- Coleman, Wilbur John, II, 1990. "Solving the Stochastic Growth Model by Policy-Function Iteration," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(1), pages 27-29, January.
- Mirman, Leonard J. & Zilcha, Itzhak, 1975. "On optimal growth under uncertainty," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 329-339, December.
- Bryan R. Routledge & Duane J. Seppi & Chester S. Spatt, 2000.
"Equilibrium Forward Curves for Commodities,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 55(3), pages 1297-1338, 06.
- Bryan Routledge & Duane Seppi & Chester Spatt, . "Equilibrium Forward Curves for Commodities," GSIA Working Papers 1997-49, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Bryan Routledge & Duane Seppi & Chester Spatt, . "Equilibrium Forward Curves for Commodities," GSIA Working Papers 1997-50, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Le Van, C. & Morhaim, L., 2000.
"Optimal Growth Models with Bounded or Unbounded Returns : a Unifying Approach,"
Papiers d'Economie MathÃÂ©matique et Applications
2000.64, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Le Van, Cuong & Morhaim, Lisa, 2002. "Optimal Growth Models with Bounded or Unbounded Returns: A Unifying Approach," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 158-187, July.
- LE VAN, Cuong & MORHAIM, Lisa, 2001. "Optimal growth models with bounded or unbounded returns: a unifying approach," CORE Discussion Papers 2001034, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Alvarez, Fernando & Stokey, Nancy L., 1998. "Dynamic Programming with Homogeneous Functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 167-189, September.
- Juan Pablo RincÛn-Zapatero & Carlos RodrÌguez-Palmero, 2003. "Existence and Uniqueness of Solutions to the Bellman Equation in the Unbounded Case," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1519-1555, 09.
- Scheinkman, Jose A & Schechtman, Jack, 1983. "A Simple Competitive Model with Production and Storage," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(3), pages 427-41, July.
- Eugenio S. A. Bobenrieth H. & Juan R. A. Bobenrieth H. & Brian D. Wright, 2002. "A Commodity Price Process with a Unique Continuous Invariant Distribution Having Infinite Mean," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(3), pages 1213-1219, May.
- Williams,Jeffrey C. & Wright,Brian D., 2005.
"Storage and Commodity Markets,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521023399, April.
- Boud, John III, 1990. "Recursive utility and the Ramsey problem," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 326-345, April.
- Deaton, Angus & Laroque, Guy, 1996. "Competitive Storage and Commodity Price Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(5), pages 896-923, October.
- Duffie, Darrell & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1993. "Simulated Moments Estimation of Markov Models of Asset Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 929-52, July.
- Roy Bailey and Marcus Chambers, .
"A Theory of Commodity Price Fluctuations,"
Economics Discussion Papers
432, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Benveniste, L M & Scheinkman, J A, 1979. "On the Differentiability of the Value Function in Dynamic Models of Economics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(3), pages 727-32, May.
- Yuichiro Waki & Kenichi Fukushima, 2011.
"A polyhederal approximation approach to concave numerical dynamic programming,"
2011 Meeting Papers
689, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Fukushima, Kenichi & Waki, Yuichiro, 2013. "A polyhedral approximation approach to concave numerical dynamic programming," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 2322-2335.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.