Modelling the strategic petroleum reserves of China and India by a stochastic dynamic game
AbstractThe energy security situations of many oil-consuming countries have become worse because of greater uncertainty in the world market. This is especially true for developing countries such as China and India, which face greater risks because of their lack of strategic petroleum reserves (SPRs). China and India both embarked on SPR planning during the past few years, with the expectation of eliminating the effects of future oil-supply disruptions. In the world oil market, there are probably interactions between the SPR policies, including acquisition and release strategies, of the two biggest developing countries. Understanding how their SPR policies interact and vary with important factors would help decision-makers develop more effective policies. In this paper, a stochastic dynamic Nash game model has been developed, in which the players compete with each other and make individual decisions to minimize their expected total SPR cost. Using the model, it was possible to obtain, for a few cases, illustrative results for each player's strategies for building up and drawing down strategic oil reserves These results indicate that the buildup and drawdown policies of the players are related to many factors, including oil-market elasticity, unit stockpile holding costs, disruption and disruption-continuation probabilities, maximum reserve capacities, and other factors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Policy Modeling.
Volume (Year): 32 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505735
Stochastic dynamic game Dynamic programming Strategic petroleum reserve Stockpile acquisition and drawdown strategies;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zweifel, Peter & Bonomo, Susanne, 1995. "Energy security Coping with multiple supply risks," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 179-183, July.
- Hubbard, R. Glenn & Weiner, Robert J., 1985. "Modeling oil price fluctuations and international stockpile coordination," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 339-359.
- Shmuel S. Oren & Shao Hong Wan, 1986. "Optimal Strategic Petroleum Reserve Policies: A Steady State Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(1), pages 14-29, January.
- Murphy, Frederick H. & Toman, Michael A. & Weiss, Howard J., 1985. "International cooperation in stockpiles and tariffs for coping with oil supply disruptions," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 649-672.
- Wu, Gang & Fan, Ying & Liu, Lan-Cui & Wei, Yi-Ming, 2008. "An empirical analysis of the dynamic programming model of stockpile acquisition strategies for China's strategic petroleum reserve," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 1470-1478, April.
- Frederic H. Murphy & Michael A. Toman & Howard J. Weiss, 1987. "A Stochastic Dynamic Nash Game Analysis of Policies for Managing the Strategic Petroleum Reserves of Consuming Nations," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 33(4), pages 484-499, April.
- Wei, Yi-Ming & Wu, Gang & Fan, Ying & Liu, Lan-Cui, 2008. "Empirical analysis of optimal strategic petroleum reserve in China," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 290-302, March.
- Samouilidis, JE & Berahas, SA, 1982. "A methodological approach to strategic petroleum reserves," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 10(5), pages 565-574.
- Samouilidis, J. E. & Magirou, Vangelis F., 1985. "On the optimal level of a small country's strategic petroleum reserve," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 190-197, May.
- Murphy, Frederic & Oliveira, Fernando S., 2013. "Pricing option contracts on the strategic petroleum reserve," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 242-250.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.