Reliability evaluation for airline network design in response to fluctuation in passenger demand
AbstractThis study develops a reliability evaluation method for airline network design. Reliability evaluation in the airline network design phase is considered herein as a post-design task. A series of models for determining flight frequencies on individual routes, evaluating reliability under normal/abnormal demand fluctuations, and providing a priori adjustment of flight frequencies are presented. A case study demonstrating the feasibility of applying the proposed models is provided. Study results not only suggest a post evaluation and adjustment method for airline network design in response to future uncertain fluctuation in passenger demand, but also provide ways to improve flexibility in airline flight frequency decision-making.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 30 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Skorin-Kapov, Darko & Skorin-Kapov, Jadranka, 1994. "On tabu search for the location of interacting hub facilities," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 73(3), pages 502-509, March.
- Hsu, Chaug-Ing & Wen, Yuh-Horng, 2000. "Application of Grey theory and multiobjective programming towards airline network design," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 127(1), pages 44-68, November.
- Aykin, Turgut, 1995. "The hub location and routing problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 200-219, May.
- Skorin-Kapov, Darko & Skorin-Kapov, Jadranka & O'Kelly, Morton, 1996. "Tight linear programming relaxations of uncapacitated p-hub median problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 94(3), pages 582-593, November.
- Campbell, James F., 1994. "Integer programming formulations of discrete hub location problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 387-405, January.
- O'Kelly, M. E. & Bryan, D. L., 1998. "Hub location with flow economies of scale," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 605-616, November.
- Powell, Warren B., 1982. "Analysis of airline operating strategies under stochastic demand," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 31-43, February.
- O'kelly, Morton E., 1987. "A quadratic integer program for the location of interacting hub facilities," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 393-404, December.
- A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1959. "Chance-Constrained Programming," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 6(1), pages 73-79, October.
- Du, Zhen-Ping & Nicholson, Alan, 1997. "Degradable transportation systems: Sensitivity and reliability analysis," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 225-237, June.
- Teodorovic, Dusan & Kalic, Milica & Pavkovic, Goran, 1994. "The potential for using fuzzy set theory in airline network design," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 103-121, April.
- Hsu, Chaug-Ing & Li, Hui-Chieh, 2011. "Reliability evaluation and adjustment of supply chain network design with demand fluctuations," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 131-145, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.