Development of measures to assess dimensions of IS operation transactions
AbstractInformation Systems (IS) researchers often rely on Organization Economics models to describe and explain various IS management issues. While those models are found to be useful, measures are yet to be proposed to assess the dimensions of IS transactions. In this paper we present the results of a study that was a first effort toward this end. The focus of the study was on one type of transaction, IS operations, in a particular management context, that of outsourcing. Measures were developed for four critical dimensions of IS operation transactions: asset specificity, measurement problem, origin of the most important investment, and governance mechanism. Data from 250 large Canadian firms were used to assess the measures, using the partial least squares technique.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 24 (1996)
Issue (Month): 6 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grossman, Sanford J. & Hart, Oliver D., 1986.
"The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration,"
3450060, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Hart, Oliver D, 1986. "The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 691-719, August.
- Oliver Hart & Sanford Grossman, 1985. "The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," Working papers 372, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Hart, Oliver, 1985. "The Cost and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 70, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Caves, Richard E. & Bradburd, Ralph M., 1988. "The empirical determinants of vertical integration," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 265-279, April.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1981. "The Modern Corporation: Origins, Evolution, Attributes," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 19(4), pages 1537-68, December.
- Hennart, J.-F.M.A., 1988. "Upstream vertical integration in the world aluminum and tin industries : a comparative study of the choice between market and intrafirm coordination," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-175858, Tilburg University.
- Anderson, Erin, 1988. "Transaction costs as determinants of opportunism in integrated and independent sales forces," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 247-264, April.
- Lieberman, Marvin B, 1991. "Determinants of Vertical Integration: An Empirical Test," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(5), pages 451-66, September.
- N. Venkatraman, 1989. "Strategic Orientation of Business Enterprises: The Construct, Dimensionality, and Measurement," Management Science, INFORMS, INFORMS, vol. 35(8), pages 942-962, August.
- Francois Hennart, Jean, 1988. "Upstream vertical integration in the aluminum and tin industries : A comparative study of the choice between market and intrafirm coordination," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 281-299, April.
- Benoit A. Aubert & Brian Corbitt & Anne C. Rouse, 2001. "Perspectives on IT Outsourcing Success: Covariance Structure Modelling of a Survey of Outsourcing in Australia," CIRANO Working Papers, CIRANO 2001s-18, CIRANO.
- Benoit A. Aubert & Michel Patry & Suzanne Rivard, 2001. "Managing IT Outsourcing Risk: Lessons Learned," CIRANO Working Papers, CIRANO 2001s-39, CIRANO.
- Serge Valant Gandja, 2012. "Choix strateÌgiques et modes d'organisation des services comptables dans une eÌconomie en deÌveloppement : une analyse des deÌterminants par une approche trianguleÌe," Post-Print hal-00690977, HAL.
- Bahli, Bouchaib & Rivard, Suzanne, 2005. "Validating measures of information technology outsourcing risk factors," Omega, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 175-187, April.
- Serge Valant Gandja & Christophe Estay, 2012. "Make-or-Buy Decisions: What Choice for an Accounting Services in a Developing Country?," International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, Human Resource Management Academic Research Society, International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, vol. 2(4), pages 259-271, October.
- Benoit A. Aubert & Barbara L. Kelsey, 2000. "The Illusion of Trust and Performance," CIRANO Working Papers, CIRANO 2000s-03, CIRANO.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.