A data envelopment analysis approach to clustering operating units for resource allocation purposes
AbstractBodies such as those funding education or health services normally make use of marginal resource levels (e.g. the level of funding per pupil) to allocate resources to operating units. It is typically desired that marginal resource levels should encourage the operating units to use resources as efficiently as possible. This paper develops a method for simultaneously clustering operating units and determining a different set of marginal resource levels for resourcing the units of each cluster, consistent with the foregoing aim. The user controls the number of clusters created, striking a balance between the multiplicity of sets of marginal resource levels estimated and the strength of the incentive offered to operating units to use a resource efficiently. The clusters identified can prove useful in themselves in that operating units sharing similar environmental conditions and/or value systems are identified.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 24 (1996)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Boussofiane, A. & Dyson, R. G. & Thanassoulis, E., 1991. "Applied data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 1-15, May.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Michael Barrow & Adam Wagstaff, 1989. "Efficiency measurement in the public sector: an appraisal," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 10(1), pages 72-97, February.
- Thanassoulis, E. & Dyson, R. G., 1992. "Estimating preferred target input-output levels using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 80-97, January.
- Aleskerov, Fuad & Ersel, Hasan & Yolalan, Reha, 2003. "Personnel allocation among bank branches using a two-stage multi-criterial approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 148(1), pages 116-125, July.
- repec:lan:wpaper:1109 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:lan:wpaper:1046 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:lan:wpaper:1031 is not listed on IDEAS
- Giokas, Dimitris I., 2001. "Greek hospitals: how well their resources are used," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 73-83, February.
- Thanassoulis, Emmanuel, 2000. "The use of data envelopment analysis in the regulation of UK water utilities: Water distribution," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 436-453, October.
- E Thanassoulis & M Kortelainen & G Johnes & J Johnes, 2009. "Costs and Efficiency of Higher Education Institutions in England: A DEA Analysis," Working Papers 598827, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Yu, Ming-Miin & Chern, Ching-Chin & Hsiao, Bo, 2013. "Human resource rightsizing using centralized data envelopment analysis: Evidence from Taiwan's Airports," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 119-130.
- Paradi, Joseph C. & Zhu, Haiyan & Edelstein, Barak, 2012. "Identifying managerial groups in a large Canadian bank branch network with a DEA approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 219(1), pages 178-187.
- Beasley, J. E., 2003. "Allocating fixed costs and resources via data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 198-216, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.