Bank branch sales evaluation using extended value efficiency analysis
AbstractThis article results from our collaborative project with a Finnish bank aiming to evaluate the sales performance of bank branches. The management wishes to evaluate the branches’ ability to generate profit, which rules out the pure technical efficiency considerations. The branches operate in heterogeneous environments. We deal with the heterogeneity by subdividing the branches according to the bank specification into overlapping clusters and analyze each cluster separately. The prices of the branch outputs are hard to assess as the results from the sales efforts can only be observed with long delays. We employ benchmark units similarly as in value efficiency analysis (VEA). However, we extend VEA in two ways. First, in standard VEA the benchmark unit is assumed to yield the maximum profit among the set of feasible technologies; instead, our benchmark technology may or may not be in the feasible set. Second, we consider efficiency tests employing a benchmark with respect to both profit and return. We propose a solution strategy for these extensions. The bank uses the study to support decisions concerning new branches, changes in the operations of inefficient branches, and actions aiming to more flexible deployment of the staff.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 232 (2014)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
Data envelopment analysis; Value efficiency analysis; Sales performance; Bank branches;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maarit Kallio & Markku Kallio, 2002. "Nonparametric Methods for Evaluating Economic Efficiency and Imperfect Competition," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 171-189, September.
- Thanassoulis, E. & Dyson, R. G., 1992. "Estimating preferred target input-output levels using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 80-97, January.
- Athanassopoulos, Antreas D, 1998. "Nonparametric Frontier Models for Assessing the Market and Cost Efficiency of Large-Scale Bank Branch Networks," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 30(2), pages 172-92, May.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Silva Portela, Maria Conceicao A. & Thanassoulis, Emmanuel, 2005. "Profitability of a sample of Portuguese bank branches and its decomposition into technical and allocative components," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 162(3), pages 850-866, May.
- Hartman, Thomas E. & Storbeck, James E. & Byrnes, Patricia, 2001. "Allocative efficiency in branch banking," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 134(2), pages 232-242, October.
- Schaffnit, Claire & Rosen, Dan & Paradi, Joseph C., 1997. "Best practice analysis of bank branches: An application of DEA in a large Canadian bank," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 269-289, April.
- Mahajan, Jayashree, 1991. "A data envelopment analytic model for assessing the relative efficiency of the selling function," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 189-205, July.
- Kuosmanen, Timo & Kortelainen, Mika & Sipiläinen, Timo & Cherchye, Laurens, 2010. "Firm and industry level profit efficiency analysis using absolute and uniform shadow prices," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 202(2), pages 584-594, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997.
"Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Fethi, Meryem Duygun & Pasiouras, Fotios, 2010. "Assessing bank efficiency and performance with operational research and artificial intelligence techniques: A survey," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 204(2), pages 189-198, July.
- Sowlati, Taraneh & Paradi, Joseph C., 2004. "Establishing the "practical frontier" in data envelopment analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 261-272, August.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Mohamed E. Chaffai & Michel Dietsch, 2009. "The Effect of the Environment on Profit Efficiency of Bank Branches," Chapters in SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
- Dyson, R. G. & Allen, R. & Camanho, A. S. & Podinovski, V. V. & Sarrico, C. S. & Shale, E. A., 2001. "Pitfalls and protocols in DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 245-259, July.
- Yang, J.B. & Wong, B.Y.H. & Xu, D.L. & Liu, X.B. & Steuer, R.E., 2010. "Integrated bank performance assessment and management planning using hybrid minimax reference point - DEA approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 207(3), pages 1506-1518, December.
- Smith, P, 1990. "Data envelopment analysis applied to financial statements," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 131-138.
- Paradi, Joseph C. & Zhu, Haiyan, 2013. "A survey on bank branch efficiency and performance research with data envelopment analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 61-79.
- Allen N. Berger & Gerald A. Hanweck & David B. Humphrey, 1986.
"Competitive viability in banking: scale, scope, and product mix economies,"
Research Papers in Banking and Financial Economics
82, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, Allen N. & Hanweck, Gerald A. & Humphrey, David B., 1987. "Competitive viability in banking : Scale, scope, and product mix economies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 501-520, December.
- Camanho, A. S. & Dyson, R. G., 2005. "Cost efficiency measurement with price uncertainty: a DEA application to bank branch assessments," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 161(2), pages 432-446, March.
- Boussofiane, A. & Dyson, R. G. & Thanassoulis, E., 1991. "Applied data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 1-15, May.
- Merja Halme & Tarja Joro & Pekka Korhonen & Seppo Salo & Jyrki Wallenius, 1999. "A Value Efficiency Approach to Incorporating Preference Information in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(1), pages 103-115, January.
- Paradi, Joseph C. & Schaffnit, Claire, 2004. "Commercial branch performance evaluation and results communication in a Canadian bank--a DEA application," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 156(3), pages 719-735, August.
- Portela, Maria Conceicao A. Silva & Thanassoulis, Emmanuel, 2007. "Comparative efficiency analysis of Portuguese bank branches," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(2), pages 1275-1288, March.
- Wade Cook & Moez Hababou & Hans Tuenter, 2000. "Multicomponent Efficiency Measurement and Shared Inputs in Data Envelopment Analysis: An Application to Sales and Service Performance in Bank Branches," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 209-224, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.