Innovation in the functional foods industry in a peripheral region of the European Union: Andalusia (Spain)
AbstractThis paper presents the results of an analysis of the relationship between public sector research and industrial development in the functional foods sector in a peripheral region of the European Union: Andalusia (Spain). Results show that the innovation system and its component parts have made a qualitative and quantitative leap forward in the last decade, which means that the gap is diminishing compared to similar regions in the European Union, mainly due to a relatively intense effort from the public research sector. In order to take advantage of the potential of the Andalusian region, the public authorities will have to focus their efforts and funds on fostering relations between regional social players that lead to the creation of durable links; increasing the entrepreneurial spirit of university students/researchers; promoting and improving the quantity and quality of international excellence research groups; and stimulating the creation of scientific and technological parks where spin-off companies can contribute to increasing wealth and employment in the region.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Food Policy.
Volume (Year): 35 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/foodpol
Functional food Innovation system Public sector research Research group Spin-off companies;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Riccardo Crescenzi, 2008.
"Research and development, spillovers, innovation systems, and the genesis of regional growth in Europe,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
23326, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Andres Rodriguez-Pose & Riccardo regstdcenzi, 2008. "Research and Development, Spillovers, Innovation Systems, and the Genesis of Regional Growth in Europe," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(1), pages 51-67.
- Olivier Parent & Stéphane Riou, 2005. "Bayesian Analysis of Knowledge Spillovers in European Regions," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(4), pages 747-775.
- Gregory Tassey, 2005. "Underinvestment in Public Good Technologies," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 30(2_2), pages 89-113, 01.
- Lydia Greunz, 2004.
"Industrial structure and innovation - evidence from European regions,"
Journal of Evolutionary Economics,
Springer, vol. 14(5), pages 563-592, December.
- Lydia Greunz, 2004. "Industrial structure and innovation - Evidence from European regions," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/169718, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- B. Clarysse & M. Wright & A. Lockett & E. Van De Velde & A. Vohora, 2004.
"Spinning Out New Ventures: A Typology Of Incubation Strategies From European Research Institutions,"
Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium
04/228, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Clarysse, Bart & Wright, Mike & Lockett, Andy & Van de Velde, Els & Vohora, Ajay, 2005. "Spinning out new ventures: a typology of incubation strategies from European research institutions," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 183-216, March.
- Claudia Grupe & SiniÅ¡a KuÅ¡iÄ, 2008. "Adjusting Formal and Informal Institutions: EU Integration and Intraregional Cooperation of Croatian SMEs," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 46(1), pages 63-73, January.
- Haaland, Jan I. & Kind, Hans Jarle, 2004.
"Cooperative and Non-Cooperative R&D Policy in an Economic Union,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4185, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jan Haaland & Hans Jarle Kind, 2006. "Cooperative and Non-Cooperative R&D Policy in an Economic Union," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 142(4), pages 720-745, December.
- RM. Serrano & R. Paci & S. Usai, 2004.
"Geographical and sectoral clusters of innovation in Europe,"
Working Paper CRENoS
200415, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Rosina Moreno & Raffaele Paci & Stefano Usai, 2005. "Geographical and sectoral clusters of innovation in Europe," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 39(4), pages 715-739, December.
- Lydia Greunz, 2005. "Intra- and inter-regional knowledge spillovers: Evidence from European regions," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 449-473, April.
- Burg, E. van & Gilsing, V.A. & Reymen, I.M.M.J. & Romme, A.G.L., 2008. "Creating university spin-offs: A science-based design perspective," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3159730, Tilburg University.
- Mulas-Granados, Carlos & Sanz, Ismael, 2008. "The dispersion of technology and income in Europe: Evolution and mutual relationship across regions," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 836-848, June.
- Vohora, Ajay & Wright, Mike & Lockett, Andy, 2004. "Critical junctures in the development of university high-tech spinout companies," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 147-175, January.
- Michaela Trippl, 2011. "Low-Tech Innovation in a High-Tech Environment? The Food Industry in the Metropolitan Region of Vienna," ERSA conference papers ersa10p133, European Regional Science Association.
- Acosta, Manuel & Coronado, Daniel & Toribio, MÂª Rosario, 2011. "The use of scientific knowledge by Spanish agrifood firms," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 507-516, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.