Endogenous buyer-seller choice and divisible money in search equilibrium
AbstractIn the Lagos-Wright model [R. Lagos, R. Wright, A unified framework for monetary theory and policy analysis, J. Polit. Economy 113 (2005) 463-484], the quasi-linear preferences assumption is not necessary to generate simple distributions of money holdings if individuals choose endogenously to go to the search market as buyers or as sellers. The non-convex buyer-seller choice provides an incentive for gambling in lotteries, and, as a result, the value function has a linear interval. As long as this interval is the relevant one for evaluating their future utilities, individuals behave as if their preferences were quasi-linear. In the stationary equilibrium, individuals remain inside this linear interval if the money supply does not decline.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 141 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622869
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Guido Menzio & Shouyong Shi & Hongfei Sun, 2013.
"A Monetary Theory with Non-degenerate Distributions,"
tecipa-495, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Menzio, Guido & Shi, Shouyong & Sun, Hongfei, 2013. "A monetary theory with non-degenerate distributions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 148(6), pages 2266-2312.
- Shouyong Shi & Hongfei Sun & Guido Menzio, 2010. "A Monetary Theory with Non-Degenerate Distributions," 2010 Meeting Papers 598, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Guido Menzio & Shouyong Shi & Hongfei Sun, 2011. "A Monetary Theory with Non-Degenerate Distributions," Working Papers tecipa-425, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Shouyong Shi & Hongfei Sun & Guido Menzio, 2009. "Monetary Theory with Non-degenerate Distributions," 2009 Meeting Papers 172, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Guido Menzio & Shouyong Shi & Hongfei Sun, 2011. "A Monetary Theory with Non-Degenerate Distributions," Working Papers 1264, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Guido Menzio & Shouyong Shi & Hongfei Sun, 2011. "A Monetary Theory with Non-Degenerate Distributions," PIER Working Paper Archive 11-009, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Williamson, Stephen D. & Wright, Randall, 2010.
"New Monetarist Economics: Models,"
21030, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.