The Cass criterion, the net dividend criterion, and optimality
AbstractAbel, Mankiw, Summers, and Zeckhauser [Assessing dynamic efficiency: theory and evidence, Rev. Econ. Stud. 56 (1989) 1-20] propose the net dividend criterion as an easy to use sufficient condition for optimality in general stochastic overlapping generations economies with production. We provide examples based on the criterion due to Cass [On capital overaccumulation in the aggregative neoclassical model of economic growth: a complete characterization, J. Econ. Theory 4 (1972) 200-223] and its extensions, the usual tools for such problems, to show that the net dividend criterion need not give the right answer. We identify the flaw in their proof. We also provide an alternative condition which, by an argument unrelated to theirs, is a sufficient condition for optimality when dividends are nonnegative and then argue that the condition is not innocuous since it cannot be verified in actual economies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 139 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622869
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cass, David, 1972. "On capital overaccumulation in the aggregative, neoclassical model of economic growth: A complete characterization," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 200-223, April.
- Tirole, Jean, 1985. "Asset Bubbles and Overlapping Generations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1499-1528, November.
- Piero Gottardi & Subir Chattopadhyay, 1999.
"- Stochastic Olg Models, Market Structure And Optimality,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
1999-15, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Chattopadhyay, Subir & Gottardi, Piero, 1999. "Stochastic OLG Models, Market Structure, and Optimality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 21-67, November.
- Subir Chattopadhyay & Piero Gottardi, 1999. "Stochastic OLG Models, Market Structure, and Optimality," Working Papers 99-12, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Abel, Andrew B, et al, 1989.
"Assessing Dynamic Efficiency: Theory and Evidence,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Andrew Abel & Gregory N. Mankiw & Lawrence H. Summers & Richard Zeckhauser, . "Assessing Dynamic Efficiency: Theory and Evidence," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 14-88, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Andrew B. Abel & N. Gregory Mankiw & Lawrence H. Summers & Richard J. Zeckhauser, 1989. "Assessing Dynamic Efficiency: Theory and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 2097, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barbie Martin & Hagedorn Marcus & Kaul Ashok, 2004. "Assessing Aggregate Tests of Efficiency for Dynamic Economies," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 4(1), pages 1-17, December.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1958. "An Exact Consumption-Loan Model of Interest with or without the Social Contrivance of Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 467.
- Zilcha, Itzhak, 1990. "Dynamic efficiency in overlapping generations models with stochastic production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 364-379, December.
- Chattopadhyay, Subir, 2006. "Optimality in stochastic OLG models: Theory for tests," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 131(1), pages 282-294, November.
- Gabrielle Demange & Guy Laroque, 1999.
"Social Security and Demographic Shocks,"
Econometric Society, vol. 67(3), pages 527-542, May.
- Balasko, Yves & Shell, Karl, 1980. "The overlapping-generations model, I: The case of pure exchange without money," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 281-306, December.
- Okuno, Masahiro & Zilcha, Itzhak, 1980. "On the Efficiency of a Competitive Equilibrium in Infinite Horizon Monetary Economies," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(4), pages 797-807, July.
- Becker, Robert & Mitra, Tapan, 2011.
"Efficient Ramsey Equilibria,"
11-02, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Sara Eugeni, 2013. "An OLG model of global imbalances," Discussion Papers 13/05, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Bloise, Gaetano & Reichlin, Pietro, 2008.
"Asset Prices, Debt Constraints and Inefficiency,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6779, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gaetano Bloise & Pietro Reichlin, 2008. "Asset prices, debt constraints and inefficiency," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0089, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Gaetano Bloise & Pietro Reichlin, 2008. "Asset Prices, Debt Constraints and Inefficiency," EIEF Working Papers Series 0803, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised Mar 2008.
- Homburg, Stefan, 2014. "Overaccumulation, Public Debt, and the Importance of Land," Diskussionspapiere der Wirtschaftswissenschaftlichen FakultÃÂ¤t der Leibniz UniversitÃÂ¤t Hannover dp-525, Leibniz UniversitÃ¤t Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche FakultÃ¤t.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.