A characterization of inefficiency in stochastic overlapping generations economies
AbstractIn this paper, we provide a characterization of interim inefficiency in stochastic economies of overlapping generations. With respect to the established body of results in the literature, we allow for sequentially incomplete markets and we remove the hypothesis of two-period horizons, by considering longer, though uniformly bounded, horizons for generations. The characterization exploits a suitably Modified Cass Criterion, based entirely on observable prices and independent of the length of the horizons of generations. For sequentially incomplete markets, we introduce a notion of unambiguous inefficiency, separating the inefficient intertemporal allocation of resources from incomplete risk-sharing. Unambiguous inefficiency reduces to inefficiency when markets are sequentially complete. Furthermore, our analysis shows that the hypothesis of two-period horizons is purely heuristic in establishing a criterion for inefficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 143 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622869
Stochastic overlapping generations economies Inefficiency Competitive prices Cass Criterion Social security Incomplete markets;
Other versions of this item:
- BLOISE, Gaetano & CALCIANO, Filippo L., 2007. "A characterization of inefficiency in stochastic overlapping generations economies," CORE Discussion Papers 2007093, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bloise, Gaetano & Calciano, Filippo L., 2007. "A Characterization of Inefficiency in Stochastic Overlapping Generations Economies," MPRA Paper 8780, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- D52 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Incomplete Markets
- D61 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Allocative Efficiency; Cost-Benefit Analysis
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rao Aiyagari, S. & Peled, Dan, 1991. "Dominant root characterization of Pareto optimality and the existence of optimal equilibria in stochastic overlapping generations models," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 69-83, June.
- Cass, David, 1972. "On capital overaccumulation in the aggregative, neoclassical model of economic growth: A complete characterization," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 200-223, April.
- Aliprantis, C. D. & Brown, D. J. & Polyrakis, I. A. & Werner, J., 1998.
"Portfolio dominance and optimality in infinite security markets,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 347-366, October.
- Aliprantis, C. D. & D. J. Brown & I. A. Polyrakis & J. Werner, 1996. "Portfolio Dominance and Optimality in Infinite Security Markets," Discussion Paper Serie B 383, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Chattopadhyay, Subir & Gottardi, Piero, 1999.
"Stochastic OLG Models, Market Structure, and Optimality,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 21-67, November.
- Subir Chattopadhyay & Piero Gottardi, 1999. "Stochastic OLG Models, Market Structure, and Optimality," Working Papers 99-12, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Piero Gottardi & Subir Chattopadhyay, 1999. "- Stochastic Olg Models, Market Structure And Optimality," Working Papers. Serie AD 1999-15, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Tourky, Rabee & Martins-da-Rocha, Victor-Filipe & Florenzano, Monique & Aliprantis, Charalambos, 2004.
"Equilibrium analysis in financial markets with countably many securities,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/601, Paris Dauphine University.
- Aliprantis, C. D. & Florenzano, M. & Martins-da-Rocha, V. F. & Tourky, R., 2004. "Equilibrium analysis in financial markets with countably many securities," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 683-699, September.
- Charalambos Aliprantis & Monique Florenzano & Victor-Filipe Martins-Da-Rocha & Rabee Tourky, 2004. "Equilibrium analysis in financial markets with countably many securities," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00086810, HAL.
- Geanakoplos, J. & Polemarchakis, H., 1991. "Overlapping generations," CORE Discussion Papers 1991031, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Geanakoplos, John D. & Polemarchakis, Heraklis M., 1991. "Overlapping generations," Handbook of Mathematical Economics, in: W. Hildenbrand & H. Sonnenschein (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 35, pages 1899-1960 Elsevier.
- repec:fth:louvco:9131 is not listed on IDEAS
- Molina-Abraldes, Antonio & Pintos-Clapes, Juan, 2003. "A complete characterization of Pareto optimality for general OLG economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 113(2), pages 235-252, December.
- Benveniste, Lawrence M, 1986. "Pricing Optimal Distributions to Overlapping Generations: A Corollary to Efficiency Pricing [A Complete Characterization of Efficiency in a General Capital Accumulation Model]," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(2), pages 301-06, April.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1958. "An Exact Consumption-Loan Model of Interest with or without the Social Contrivance of Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 467.
- Burke, Jonathan L., 1987. "Inactive transfer policies and efficiency in general overlapping-generations economies," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 201-222, June.
- Balasko, Yves & Shell, Karl, 1980. "The overlapping-generations model, I: The case of pure exchange without money," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 281-306, December.
- Okuno, Masahiro & Zilcha, Itzhak, 1980. "On the Efficiency of a Competitive Equilibrium in Infinite Horizon Monetary Economies," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(4), pages 797-807, July.
- Benveniste, Lawrence M., 1976. "A complete characterization of efficiency for a general capital accumulation model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 325-337, April.
- Balasko, Yves & Cass, David & Shell, Karl, 1980. "Existence of competitive equilibrium in a general overlapping-generations model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 307-322, December.
- Gaetano Bloise & Pietro Reichlin, 2008.
"Asset Prices, Debt Constraints and Inefficiency,"
EIEF Working Papers Series
0803, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised Mar 2008.
- Bloise, Gaetano & Reichlin, Pietro, 2008. "Asset Prices, Debt Constraints and Inefficiency," CEPR Discussion Papers 6779, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gaetano Bloise & Pietro Reichlin, 2008. "Asset prices, debt constraints and inefficiency," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0089, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Robert A. Becker & Tapan Mitra, 2011.
"Efficient Ramsey Equilbria,"
Caepr Working Papers
2011-009, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
- Orrego, Fabrizio, 2011. "Sequential incompleteness and dynamic suboptimality in stochastic OLG economies with production," Working Papers 2011-014, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú.
- Ohtaki, Eisei, 2013. "Golden rule optimality in stochastic OLG economies," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 60-66.
- Fabrizio Orrego & Stephen Spear, . "Sequential incompleteness and dynamic suboptimality in stochastic OLG economies with production," GSIA Working Papers 2012-E38, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.