Stochastic OLG Models, Market Structure, and Optimality
AbstractFor a general class of pure exchange OLG economies under uncertainty, we provide a complete characterization of the efficency properties of competitive equilibria when markets are only sequentially complete and the criterion of efficency is conditional Pareto optimality. We also consider a particular case in which markets fail to be even sequentially complete and provide a characterization when the criterion of efficency is weakened to ex post Pareto optimality.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Brown University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 99-12.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, Brown University, Providence, RI 02912
Other versions of this item:
- Chattopadhyay, Subir & Gottardi, Piero, 1999. "Stochastic OLG Models, Market Structure, and Optimality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 21-67, November.
- Piero Gottardi & Subir Chattopadhyay, 1999. "- Stochastic Olg Models, Market Structure And Optimality," Working Papers. Serie AD 1999-15, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benveniste, Lawrence M., 1976. "A complete characterization of efficiency for a general capital accumulation model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 325-337, April.
- Zilcha, Itzhak, 1991. "Characterizing efficiency in stochastic overlapping generations models," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 1-16, October.
- Geanakoplos, J. & Polemarchakis, H., 1991. "Overlapping generations," CORE Discussion Papers 1991031, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Muench, Thomas J., 1977. "Optimality, the interaction of spot and futures markets, and the nonneutrality of money in the lucas model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 325-344, August.
- Balasko, Yves & Shell, Karl, 1980. "The overlapping-generations model, I: The case of pure exchange without money," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 281-306, December.
- Okuno, Masahiro & Zilcha, Itzhak, 1980. "On the Efficiency of a Competitive Equilibrium in Infinite Horizon Monetary Economies," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(4), pages 797-807, July.
- Gottardi, Piero, 1996. "Stationary Monetary Equilibria in Overlapping Generations Models with Incomplete Markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 75-89, October.
- Rao Aiyagari, S. & Peled, Dan, 1991. "Dominant root characterization of Pareto optimality and the existence of optimal equilibria in stochastic overlapping generations models," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 69-83, June.
- Peled, Dan, 1982. "Informational diversity over time and the optimality of monetary equilibria," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 255-274, December.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1972. "Expectations and the neutrality of money," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 103-124, April.
- Cass, David, 1972. "On capital overaccumulation in the aggregative, neoclassical model of economic growth: A complete characterization," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 200-223, April.
- Manuelli, Rodolfo, 1990. "Existence and optimality of currency equilibrium in stochastic overlapping generations models: The pure endowment case," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 268-294, August.
- Radner, Roy, 1972. "Existence of Equilibrium of Plans, Prices, and Price Expectations in a Sequence of Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(2), pages 289-303, March.
- Spear, Stephen E., 1985. "Rational expectations in the overlapping generations model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 251-275, August.
- Geanakoplos, John D. & Polemarchakis, Heraklis M., 1991. "Overlapping generations," Handbook of Mathematical Economics, in: W. Hildenbrand & H. Sonnenschein (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 35, pages 1899-1960 Elsevier.
- Dutta, Jayasri & Polemarchakis, Herakles, 1990. "Asset Markets and Equilibrium Processes," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(2), pages 229-54, April.
- Cass, David & Green, Richard C & Spear, Stephen E, 1992. "Stationary Equilibria with Incomplete Markets and Overlapping Generations," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 33(3), pages 495-512, August.
- Burke, Jonathan L., 1987. "Inactive transfer policies and efficiency in general overlapping-generations economies," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 201-222, June.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Brown Economics Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.