Relationship marketing's role in managing the firm-investor dyad
AbstractThis paper develops an interdisciplinary conceptual framework demonstrating the role of marketing in managing investor relationships. The framework illustrates how companies can turn investor relationships into market-based assets by analyzing and managing them from a relationship marketing and stakeholder perspective. Marketing can contribute to investor relationship management and increase shareholder value by lowering the cost of equity capital, increasing analyst coverage and stock liquidity, and reducing shareholder activism. An investigation among investor relations professionals working at publicly traded companies in the Euronext 100 stock index demonstrates the framework's empirical validity and provides managerial implications.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Business Research.
Volume (Year): 64 (2011)
Issue (Month): 8 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusres
Marketing-finance interface Investor relations Role of marketing Market-based assets;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francis, Jennifer & Douglas Hanna, J. & Philbrick, Donna R., 1997. "Management communications with securities analysts," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 363-394, December.
- Morgan, Robert M. & Hunt, Shelby, 1999. "Relationship-Based Competitive Advantage: The Role of Relationship Marketing in Marketing Strategy," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 281-290, November.
- Lukas, Bryan A. & Whitwell, Gregory J. & Doyle, Peter, 2005. "How can a shareholder value approach improve marketing's strategic influence?," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(4), pages 414-422, April.
- A. Admati & P. Pßeiderer & J. Zechner, 2005.
"Large shareholder activism, risk sharing, and financial market equilibrium,"
- Admati, Anat R & Pfleiderer, Paul & Zechner, Josef, 1994. "Large Shareholder Activism, Risk Sharing, and Financial Market Equilibrium," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(6), pages 1097-1130, December.
- Ian Ayres & Peter Cramton, 1994. "Relational Investing and Agency Theory," Papers of Peter Cramton 94clr, University of Maryland, Department of Economics - Peter Cramton, revised 09 Jun 1998.
- Stuart L. Gillan & Laura T. Starks, 2007. "The Evolution of Shareholder Activism in the United States," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 19(1), pages 55-73.
- Ruiz, David Martín & Gremler, Dwayne D. & Washburn, Judith H. & Carrión, Gabriel Cepeda, 2008. "Service value revisited: Specifying a higher-order, formative measure," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(12), pages 1278-1291, December.
- Hong, Harrison & Huang, Ming, 2005. "Talking up liquidity: insider trading and investor relations," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 1-31, January.
- Gelb, David S, 2000. " Managerial Ownership and Accounting Disclosures: An Empirical Study," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 169-85, September.
- Johnsen, Thomas E. & Johnsen, Rhona E. & Lamming, Richard C., 2008. "Supply relationship evaluation:: The relationship assessment process (RAP) and beyond," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 274-287, August.
- John R. Graham & Campbell R. Harvey & Shiva Rajgopal, 2004.
"The Economic Implications of Corporate Financial Reporting,"
NBER Working Papers
10550, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Graham, John R. & Harvey, Campbell R. & Rajgopal, Shiva, 2005. "The economic implications of corporate financial reporting," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1-3), pages 3-73, December.
- Stewart, David W., 2009. "Marketing accountability: Linking marketing actions to financial results," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(6), pages 636-643, June.
- Whitwell, Gregory J. & Lukas, Bryan A. & Hill, Paul, 2007. "Stock analysts' assessments of the shareholder value of intangible assets," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 84-90, January.
- O'Malley, Lisa & Prothero, Andrea, 2004. "Beyond the frills of relationship marketing," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(11), pages 1286-1294, November.
- Zinkhan, George M. & Verbrugge, James A., 2000. "The Marketing/Finance Interface: Two Divergent and Complementary Views of the Firm," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 143-148, November.
- Healy, Paul M. & Palepu, Krishna G., 2001. "Information asymmetry, corporate disclosure, and the capital markets: A review of the empirical disclosure literature," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-3), pages 405-440, September.
- Farraghe, Edward J. & Kleiman, Robert & Bazaz, Mohammed S., 1994. "Do investor relations make a difference?," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 403-412.
- Sanjai Bhagat & Bernard Black & Margaret Blair, 2004. "Relational Investing And Firm Performance," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 27(1), pages 1-30.
- Karpoff, Jonathan M. & Malatesta, Paul H. & Walkling, Ralph A., 1996. "Corporate governance and shareholder initiatives: Empirical evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 365-395, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.