Cross-border relationships and performance: Revisiting a complex linkage
AbstractExisting export performance models do not explicitly address the role of the importer in achieving economic success. This research explores importer role performance as a mediator between relationship quality and export performance, and uncovers the darker side of cross-border relationships by showing that relationship quality has concomitant opposite effects on export performance. The findings augment the relational paradigm to export performance by the demonstrating the vital importance of the importer role and by discriminating and explaining the positive and negative influences of interfirm relationship quality. The study uses structural equations modeling with data from two random samples of French and Slovene exporters to test hypotheses.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Business Research.
Volume (Year): 64 (2011)
Issue (Month): 5 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusres
Export performance Exporter-importer relationships Importer role performance Mediating effects;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lages, Carmen & Lages, Cristiana Raquel & Lages, Luis Filipe, 2004.
"The relqual scale: a measure of relationship quality in export market ventures,"
FEUNL Working Paper Series
wp447, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- Lages, Carmen & Lages, Cristiana Raquel & Lages, Luis Filipe, 2005. "The RELQUAL scale: a measure of relationship quality in export market ventures," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(8), pages 1040-1048, August.
- Luis Filipe Lages & Sandy D Jap & David A Griffith, 2008. "The role of past performance in export ventures: a short-term reactive approach," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(2), pages 304-325, March.
- C Zhang & S T Cavusgil & A S Roath, 2003. "Manufacturer governance of foreign distributor relationships: do relational norms enhance competitiveness in the export market?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(6), pages 550-566, November.
- Chris Styles & Paul G Patterson & Farid Ahmed, 2008. "A relational model of export performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(5), pages 880-900, July.
- Philip J Rosson & I David Ford, 1982. "Manufacturer-Overseas Distributor Relations and export Performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 13(2), pages 57-72, June.
- Fang Wu & Rudolf R Sinkovics & S Tamer Cavusgil & Anthony S Roath, 2007. "Overcoming export manufacturers’ dilemma in international expansion," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(2), pages 283-302, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.